Alex (36)

Sorry for the long break! School and vacation kept us from our laptops! Have fun reading -C

    It never snowed in St. Croix like this. It was never like this. My face remains plastered to the glass, probably freezing to it. However, I can't just ignore this! It's... So weird! Like, it's not even that slushy crap on campus! It looks so light and pretty and... Crystallized?

    Clearly, it's too early to be awake. James and Hercules are both still passed out. It's hard to turn off my mind though. I wish I had driven! Maybe I would have been tired... But I have never been allowed to learn.

    "Pay attention, Alexander," I reprimand myself and turn back to the snow.

James slowly blinks and opens his eyes. "Alexander," he says softly.

I jump and turn to face the larger man. "Oh, hi. Did I wake you up?"

Truly, I thought I was so subtle. I was so careful sneaking out of bed after giving up on this idea of sleep. I've had a solid three hours. That's better than usual.

"It's alright. I don't normally sleep very long."

I grin at him. "Me neither! Does Thomas keep you up? He seems really annoying to have as a dormmate."

James rolls his eyes. "That's just because you don't like him," he whispers. "Thomas is actually... pretty quiet most of the time. Sometimes he plays the violin, and he's very good."

"Are we thinking of the same Jefferson?" I snort before returning to the precious window. Oh my God! I could trace words in the imprint my breath leaves behind!

"Yes," he says. "You wouldn't know, since you never take time to look past his display, but we are talking about the same man."

"Display? You mean he doesn't have the biggest ego in the entire world... That it probably takes up the space of Pluto?" Scoffing, I trace no way into the window.

"I suppose that's for you to find out for yourself," he whispers.

I turn and look over at him. "Why would I want to? We're enemies, James."

"That's a choice, Alexander."

"And Thomas makes that choice too, James," I counter.

"He does," James sighs. "But an 'enemy' is not a one-sided thing."

I give him a long look, a smile twinging on my lips. Mischief lights up my gaze. "You certainly seem to care about that jerk."

"That's generally the assumption between best friends," he replies dryly.

"Nothing more between you two?" I wink at him.

He furrows his brow. "No?"

"You don't sound too sure about that, James!" Glee fills me immediately. "Do you have a crush on that weirdly tall freakazoid?"

He flushes. "What?? No! That's crazy!"

"I don't know... I could see it. And I mean, really, nobody should be attracted to Thomas. But you two would be 'cute'." I make air quotes at the end of that.

"It's not like that!" He stammers quietly. "I don't like him like that!"

Cocking my head, I pretend to mull over my thoughts. "Must be a shame for Thomas then. I have a suspicion that he likes you."

There's a pause. "Yeah right."

"Well, for all the flirting he does, he has never even stolen a kiss from anyone," I point out.