part 2

As the clock struck 0600 she headed to the roof, she had a small crevice nearby which was carved into the cliff face. Here she would hide to watch the sunrise and hopefully its setting. She didn't know if she would live to the end of the day or not but she didn't care. Her life in the dark had grown tiresome, she wanted more.

The first rays of light began to peak over the horizon, she was still hidden from its view and she watched as it crept closer to her. Red hitting the blue, like an artist throwing it onto a blue canvas. It was mesmerising for her. As the light crept closer she panicked slightly, it was blinding her eyes which had been used to the dark but she remained still, letting the light come to her. She began to feel weak as it hit but didn't hurt as she thought it would. The heat that should have been there was not, her hope faltered as she realised that warmth was not going to come. Soon she was bathing in the sunlight, it weakened her slowly but nothing else. She knew she could walk in the light like the other girls here. Although the heat was missing, it made her smile for the first time in many years.

 "Everyone get up, breakfast in twenty minutes." Mrs Winters, one of the Matrons said through the intercom system. That was a new addition to the orphanage, still making Grace jump when she wasn't expecting it.

Grace was already dressed in her uniform so she ambled down to the breakfast hall feeling tired but happy after her time in the sun. The hall was already filling up when she arrived, she could feel the energy bouncing off the walls as the girls chatted happily to their friends. She breathed in deeply and focussed on one source of energy, imagining it entering her body and filling her. It moved quickly, spreading into her body giving her strength, coursing through her veins. It would do until she had the chance to feed. She only took enough to replenish what the sunlight took, otherwise she could make the girl she had chosen pass out. One incident had led to the death of the girl she had chosen, it was when Grace had been overly weak and she couldn't stop the flow of energy between the girl and herself.

"Oi, freak!" A girl called trying to get a reaction.

It was the same everyday but Grace was used to it. She was different, not eating was just the top of the pile of things that made her stand out. She took her usual seat in the corner of the room, closest to the door. Mostly she was ignored but occasionally a select few of the girls would choose to taunt her, rarely getting physical.

Finally Mrs Callaghan stood up the front, it was the same every Sunday. A boring speech on looking good for the people coming in looking to adopt. Grace didn't bother listening, the ramblings never changed. Instead she was thinking of the way it felt to stand in the sun; the warmth, the light, the beauty of the day. She wondered about the draining of her strength the sunlight had caused, would it always be like that? A part of her wanted to hide away from the sunlight, still scared of what could happen but mostly she wanted to run in the light and let the unknown become known.

"Behave, today may be the day you get chosen. I expect you down at the usual room in two hours." Mrs Callaghan finished and everyone started to head out.  Grace took this opportunity to explore the outside during the day.