Trouble in Paradise

"Sir, do you know where you are?"

Cry glanced towards the nurse who stood in front of him. Felix was beside of him, gripping his hand tightly. "No." Cry murmured lowly, averting his attention towards the hospital machinery surrounding him.

"Alright, I'll just take a little look at you to be sure everything is normal. I'm gonna ask your boyfriend a few questions. Mr. Kjellberg, could you explain the incident to me?" The friendly nurse asked, pulling a rolling trolley full of medical instruments towards her.

"He was hit in the face with a shotgun. Before he passed out, he told me he couldn't see or hear... I'm worried he may have lost memory of everything besides me." Pewds explained slowly, tracing his thumb along the edges of Cry's bloodied knuckles.

The nurse nodded understandingly, shining the autoscope into Cry's ear. "Well, there's definitely some damage. Lots of blood in his ear. I did take a look through his medical files as well. He has had a traumatic past... Did he do this to himself?"

Pewds sighed worriedly, squeezing Cry's hand as he sat still, allowing himself to be checked. "Are they taking me away again, Pewds?" Cry whispered, his blue eyes wide with fear as he tightened his grip on the slightly damaged mask that he held onto.

"No, Cry. No one is taking you away from me again." Felix stated reassuringly, placing his free hand upon Cry's thigh. "I won't let anything happen to you. And no, ma'am. He was assaulted..."

Cry nodded, relief visible in his facial expression. He opened his mouth widely as the nurse pushed down on his tongue with a wooden stick, examining the back of his throat and his mouth with the bright light. "Looks like he's missing a few teeth back here from the hit. That can easily be fixed. He's extremely lucky that he didn't dislocate or fracture his jaw."

"Is he gonna be okay?" Felix questioned, his forehead wrinkled up anxiously as he cuddled his boyfriend closer. "Will he remember?"

The nurse took in a deep breath, raising both eyebrows as she glanced towards her patient. "I'm not entirely sure." She began, shining the light towards Cry's eyes as she studied them as well. "He appears to be alright physically, but I do believe he has a case of amnesia. I'm surprised he still remembers you. You two must have something special."

Pewds exhaled a long breath, nodding his head. "What am I supposed to do about this, exactly?"

"There's not much you can do. For the time being, you'll have to teach him all of the things he once knew. Recovering from amnesia is a lengthy process, and it is quite difficult to care for someone who can't remember anything." She explained, turning the autoscope's light off and sliding it into the pocket of her lab coat.

...

"Mark, he's so damn cute." Jack laughed out quietly, taking a long drink of water from a plastic cup that a nurse had retrieved for him.

The rest of the night following Will's birth had been relatively peaceful. The entire group had received medical attention, if they needed it. Almost everyone had returned to the house after visiting with Jack and the baby, leaving Cry and Pewds to keep the new parents company, and to help them if they needed anything.

While Jack napped, chugged down some water, and relaxed in general, Mark spent time bonding with his newborn son.

"Coochie coochie coo!" Mark blabbered on, leaning down to nuzzle his infant son lovingly. "Daddy's little boy!"

Jack smiled and rolled his eyes, expecting this type of response from Mark. He sighed contently as he laid back in the hospital bed, closing his eyes momentarily as he tried to rest. A million thoughts were racing through his head.