Try Outs

JOHNNY'S P.O.V.

I got up in the morning and got dressed, trying not to wake my parents who had come home last night wasted. I had gotten used to getting ready quietly because I didn't want to come to school with two black eyes and a bruised forehead. 

When it was time to go, I decided to skip breakfast as I usually did

When it was time to go, I decided to skip breakfast as I usually did. I climbed out my window and shimmied down the drain pipe. I walked over to the street corner where Sam and Sandra were already standing, talking. "Hey guys." I mumbled as I approached. 

I had known Sam and Sandra for a few years. They were never really a part of the gang, though. Sam I think is part of some other lower grade gang with a couple of friends of his. They started dating a few months back and ever since then they have been inseparable. That's why I'm hesitant about what gang Sam's in, because no one wants Sandra in their gang. Sandra has always been not too smart in situations. She got cut up real bad one time from a few other greaser girls with switches when she wasn't really smart about what she said and when to stop. But it looks like Sam doesn't really mind that too much. 

Sam and Sandra held hands as they acknowledged me. They talked quietly to each other a few feet away from me, and just shoved my fists in my pockets. Then, Sam turned to me. "Hey Johnny, you trying out for track?"

"Yeah."

They both giggled a little. "You gonna run in jeans, a jean jacket and converse?" Sandra laughed. 

I looked down at my outfit and realize I had forgotten my gym bag with my sweatpants and my sneakers. I sweared under my breath and looked at them with a pleading look. I then started in a sprint back to my house. I gave them that pleading look so if the bus came then maybe they'd stop it for me. My throat throbbed from running in the cold air, and I could feel my ears getting numb. My feet hit the pavement at an alarming rate, and my legs began to ache by the time I reached my front yard. I climbed up the pipe and into my bedroom window. I grabbed my bag that was lying next to my bed and ran back to the window. "Johnny!!" I heard a loud, deep voice yell from the hallway.

It was my dad. I put one leg out of my window and then the door blew open. I cussed, then jumped out, straight onto the ground. I hurt my arm like crazy and as I ran off, I knew that my window would be boarded up by the time I got home. I ran back to the corner as fast as I could. I saw Sam and Sandra get on the bus from afar, and I started yelling, trying to get there attention, or someone on the bus's attention. I ran, with my arm still throbbing. Then, the bus drove off. I was running, still trying to catch it, when I realized it was useless. I slowed into a jog, then into a fast walk. I cussed quietly to myself as I walked along the side of the road, pouting, and trying to hitchhike. I knew if I didn't get a ride, I wouldn't make it to school before the bell for sure. One more tardy from me and I have detention, probably right during track tryouts.