Nothing Gold Can Stay

SOPHIE'S P.O.V.

When we got home from the police station, everyone was gathered together in the living room, except for Sodapop who was on the phone. Two-Bit, Steve, Johnny, and Liam all sat on the couch. I walked in and Johnny's face shot up. He instantly beamed and stood. "Sophie where have you been?" He asked running over to me and grabbing me into a hug. 

I heard Dally, Pony, and Darry walk in behind me. "Hey Soda! You can get off the phone, she's home!" Two-Bit called into the other room. 

"It's a long story." I whispered into Johnny's ear. 

He pulled back and kissed me. "I was so worried. Liam said he heard that you were gone and that Dally, Darry, and Pony left to find you, then no one could get a hold of you guys-"

"Calm down." I put my hands on his shoulders. "I'm home now." His wild eyes steadied on my face and his panic expression softened. 

"Hey, what happened to you Soph?" Sodapop walked in from the other room, his voice soft and tired.

We all sat down and I told them what happened last night. How I was arrested, and the fuzz thought I had killed this guy, and then at the last minute I was saved. I left out the part of how Josie-The girl who had actually killed him, said she was gonna kill me. I thought that would be counterproductive to moving on from this. I didn't want to talk about what had happened anymore. Although it still rang fresh in my mind, I wanted it erased from my memory. I was laying in Johnny's arms on the couch by the time I was done with my story. 

Dally let out an aggravated sigh due to my story. "Those cops man, always getting us greasers in trouble." He cursed.  

In my absence of speech, the rest of the gang who were previously enveloped in my story now talk amongst themselves. Johnny and I stayed silent. I was thinking and he could see that, so he just played with my hair and hummed to himself quietly. For about fifteen minutes I laid on that couch, letting topics that the gang spoke about go straight over my head. Until one topic caught my attention.

"What are we gonna do the rest of winter break?" Ponyboy asked while playing with a loose thread on the couch. 

The murmurs died down while everyone thought. "Y'all ever been ice skating?" I ask absentmindedly after a few moments of silence.

"No." Sodapop answered for the group.

My eyes widened and I sat up. "None of you guys have been ice skating?" I ask, glad that the words that now came out of my mouth weren't "murder" or "Josie" or "Police".

A wave of shaking heads flew over the gang and I was dumbfounded. How have they never been ice skating? "Actually, I have." I looked around for the voice and it belonged to Darry. "Me and a few friends went to this frozen pond out by the old rodeo stables a couple years back when I was in highschool." His smile wavered as he thought back to his friends. "But that was a record cold winter." He leaned back in his chair. 

"Well it's definitely a record cold winter this year. I haven't felt it this cold in Tulsa since forever!" Steve blurted from his perch sitting on the arm of the armchair. 

I brushed my hair behind my ear and looked at Darry curiously. He opened his mouth hesitantly, but then the corners of his lips slowly curled into a barely visible smile. "Well I guess you're right Steve." He hit him on the back hard enough to knock him off the arm of the chair. 

"know what we're doing tomorrow." Sodapop smirked.

I could feel a smile break out across my face. The room went up in a explosion of excited voices chattering. "I dunno a lot 'bout ice skating or nothing," Johnny spoke above everyone else's voice, getting their attention. "But we're gonna need ice skates to go ice skating."