Violence Is The Answer

JOHNNY'S P.O.V.

I opened the door expecting it to be Two-Bit or something. Instead, it was the last person I wanted to see. The guy who wanted to take Sophie away from me. "What the hell are you doing here?" I yelled.

He looked nice. Not in like dressy clothes or anything, just like he had taken a long bath, and re-did his hair. He smelled nice too. I puckered my lips in anger. "I'm here to see Sophie tough guy, she asked me over." He walked in, keeping eye contact with me.

I pushed him back outside. "If she wants to see you, she'll come out and see you, but you sure as hell ain't coming in this house." He made a mad face, then took a step back.

Then, Sophie came around the corner. "Oh hey George, I forgot you were coming." She smiled at him which made me mad.

I hadn't yet told her about what George said to me when he gave me a ride to school. I wanted it all just to blow over and him go back to New York, but I'm beginning to think that I need to tell her. I know that she would never leave me for him, but I still don't want him flirting with her while he's here. "You still wanna hang out?" He asked her from outside the front door.

I looked to her and she gave me a sympathetic look. She actually wanted to hang out with him?! She looked back at George. "Can I have a minute to talk to Johnny please?" She asked. 

George nodded and took a seat on the front porch. I followed Sophie into the kitchen. Darry and Sodapop sat there, pretending they hadn't just heard everything that just happened. We went into the hallway and she looked at me a little confused. "What's your beef with George?" She hissed. 

I nodded my head back and forth. I don't know if I really thought me doing that would avoid the question, but it didn't. Sophie raised her eyebrows, waiting for an answer. "You really wanna know why I'm not too hot about him?" I asked, lowering my voice to a more serious tone.

Her facial expression changed and she looked more concerned than anything else now. "What happened Johnny?" She looked a little worried, adding to her concerned expression.

SOPHIE'S P.O.V.

Johnny has looked unsettled for the past day and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with George coming to town. He looked upset, and that made me a little distressed. I didn't like seeing Johnny upset. "He gave me a ride to school today.." His voice faded a little and he looked down ward. 

I scrunched my eyebrows "What does that have to do with anything?" I asked slowly. 

He sighed short and softly. "Listen, he said that he likes you, like a lot." 

"Well of course he likes me, he came all the way down here to see me."

"No, no I mean like, more than just a friend." 

When I first came here, Johnny was just a shy kid who wouldn't hurt a fly. Now, over time I've seen him become more out there, and less shy. Yet in that moment, he looked like he had when I first got here. He looked shy and broken and sad. I touched the side of his face. "I don't care Johnnycakes. I've never thought of George as anything but a friend, and I'd never leave you."

He pulled me into a hug. "It's not you I'm worried about." He whispered in my ear. "I just don't want him being a flirt with you, is all."

I giggled a little. "If he gets to be too much, I'll put an end to it, savvy?" 

He nodded and smiled softly. I held his hand as we walked back into the living room. I thought to myself as we walked. Johnny still is that same boy I met when I first arrived. He's still shy and he's still scared and broken and lost, but I just love him so much I don't see it anymore. I also thought how if Dally heard any of this, he'd flip. He does like Johnny a whole lot, and says he's happy that we're together, but I know it's just a front. He hates that I'm with any boy, even if it is Johnny. In his eyes, I still am the ten year old he left in New York four years ago. My fifteenth birthday is in December next month, but I still feel like Dally thinks I'm a little kid.