Merry And Bright

SOPHIE'S P.O.V.

It's been two weeks since the night Kevin died. About a week ago, the police came to the door saying that people had seen us there. Darry was at work, and because we didn't tell Darry, or anyone else besides the small group that was there, Soda talked 'em off. He was really good at talking off cops like that. The week after it happened, Two-Bit kinda went down a darker road. He started to drink a lot and not come over as much. I would see him bumming around the drive in sometimes, but I barely saw him at school anymore. Hopefully that would change as the holidays come along. It's Saturday December 18th, so the holiday break starts on Wednesday December 22nd and goes until January 2nd. 

Christmas is next Saturday and I'm really excited for Christmas. Christmas is my favorite holiday, and I think a little Christmas is just what the gang needs right now. The soc girls leave me alone at school now. Cherry gives me a few scowls for slashing her tires, but that is to be expected. 

Sodapop promised not to race anymore, so now he's taking more shifts at the DX. Since Pony and Johnny are doing track after school everyday, and I quit the cheerleading team, no ones home when I get home. I usually go over to Bucks and me and Dally hang out. Me and Dallas have been growing a lot closer. I feel like the four years that he left never even happened. It took some time to heal, but now I can really see how I used to spend all my days as a kid with him. We play cards and watch movies and play pranks on some of the guys who come to the bar. Some nights I just stay over with Dally and don't even go back to the Curtis house. 

I met this real tuff guy my age named Liam. Liam is Buck's cousin who came to live in Tulsa. Me and him like to spend time together at Buck's when Dally's not around, or when Dally is around. Dally likes Liam just fine. We have a lot of fun sometimes. Sometimes we just talk. Liam is real tall and used to play for his old school's basketball team. He has bright blue eyes and dirty blonde hair. his face his sprinkled with freckles and he has a nice cool smile that you wouldn't think he'd have. When you see a guy that looked like how Liam does you would think he'd have a goofy smile and be a real goofball, but not Liam. He's cool and funny and tuff. He has a real cool smile that makes slight dimples show in his face. He's not real skinny either. Most guys as tall as him are real wiry, but he's a nice size. Not too buff, not too skinny, but he loves a god cheeseburger. 

Liam has never met anyone in the gang except Dally and he met Johnny for a brief second when Johnny came to pick me up to go to the drive-in. Liam knows I have a boyfriend, and he respects that. We are just good friends. Besides, even if Liam didn't respect that I had a boyfriend, I would never cheat on Johnny in my life. I love him. 

Like I said, it was a Saturday. I had spent the night in my room at the Curtis house. I woke up and everyone was gone. Darry and Soda were at work, and Johnny and Pony went over to spend the day at the track. They invited me to come with them because they knew they would be gone the whole day, but I didn't want to go and freeze while watching them run in circles. Two-Bit was probably off somewhere that I didn't really want to know, and Steve was probably at the DX. I didn't have anywhere else to go or anything else to do, so I spent the morning walking to Buck's. Dally doesn't like me walking to Buck's, but I don't got anyone to drive me. So walked in the freezing weather. I kinda liked it though. It was nice to clear my head and just walk. 

When I got there, Liam was the only one in the room, sitting at the bar. "Hi-a." I smiled when I saw him sipping on his favorite drink- hot chocolate. 

He had a weird thing for hot chocolate for some reason. He looked over to me and smiled. "Hey Soph."

"Boy," I said sitting on the stool next to him. "For someone who doesn't live here, you sure do spend a lot of your time here."