Chapter 3

"Why'd you have to go and make things so complicated!" I shout along to Avril, shaking my head back and forth. My hair is flying everywhere as I swing myself around my bedroom. I continue singing as I gather up my laundry off the floor and tidying around the room.

"Mind turning down the music by a few decibels?" A voice startles me. I drop to the floor, panting in fright. I see Luke chuckling as he peers out his window. "Sorry didn't mean to scare you," he apologises followed by more laughs.

I stand up from my position on the floor and turn my music down a few notches. "Mocking me huh?" I raise a brow as I step closer towards my window. Oh my god he must have seen me dancing around like an imbosile. My cheeks flush at the thought. I'm regretting the fact I left my window open for some air now.

"If it's any consolation, I love that song and I love your dance moves even more," he says, as if sensing my embarrassment. "So yeah changing the subject now," I mumble awkwardly.

"I actually have a question for you," I say as I plonk down on my window seat. I don't know where I've gotten the confidence to talk to a very attractive member of the opposite sex from, considering I barely know him. Actually why am I talking to him? I don't exactly know why but there's just something about him.

"Why are you friends with Calum?" I laugh as I ask the question. He takes a minute to ponder the subject, raising a finger to his chin. "We've been friends for years, I guess I've grown to tolerate him," he jokes with a shrug.

"No but really, I used to live around here when I was younger and I was friends with him. I moved away when I was about 10 and I'm back now. I never lost contact with the boys so here I am," he smiles flashing his perfectly white teeth. "Where'd you move to?" I ask tucking my knees into my chest.

"This really small town, you probably wouldn't know it."

"I'm very street smart, try me," I giggle. Did I just giggle? I never giggle. "Fairview," he answers. My jaw drops. "No freaking way!" I exclaim. "That's where I recognised you from," I gasp. Fairview is where I lived up until six months ago when mom and I moved in with the Hoods.

"And the penny finally drops," he laughs lightly. Wait what? "Did you know who I was?" I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. This doesn't make sense, why wouldn't he tell me he knew me before now?

"Yeah, I used to be in the year ahead of you. That's why I asked you for your last name just to clarify. Who could forget the ugliest girl in school?" he sends a playful and joking wink. Jerk.

"How come I don't remember you that well?" I wear a puzzled expression. "We only ever talked once about a year and a half ago. I worked up the courage to ask you for your number but you shot me down. Said you had a boyfriend," he breaks eye contact, chuckling slightly.

Jason.

"Man I had the biggest crush on you," he laughs, gazing back up at me. "Don't worry I'm over it," he shakes his head.

I feel a lump form at the back of my throat at the thought of his name. "You okay?" He asks curiously as I sit in my silent state.

"Yeah," I snap back to reality.

I do remember him. Well I do now, how did I forget?

"So why'd you move here?" I inquire. "Oh well we lived in this house a good while back. Mom got a temporary job transfer which turned out to be longer than was intended, hence why we left for years but now she's been transferred back so now I'm back," he shrugs simply. "And you? You disappeared about six months ago," he laughs slightly.

"New 'family' I guess," using my fingers in quotation to the word family. He nods. "So you and your mum moved in with Cal an his dad I presume?" He cocks a brow. I nod in response. "And where's your dad?" He asks hesitantly.