A Best Friends Role

Title: A Best Friends Role

Pairings: Mostly friendship.

Words: 789

Warnings: Just a bit of Ukitake worshipping :3

Ukitake was beautiful, no fool could argue with that.

He was gorgeous, gracious, elegant, lovely, kind, gentle, sweet; the physical definition of an angel. Light, loving, well respected and beloved by all; the perfect Juushiro Ukitake.

However, because of his loveliness, he was also highly sought after by many, and unfortunately it was the arrogant and vile deviants that took their admiration, their lust for him too far.

They had very sticky fingers, if you know what I mean.

Kyouraku, being the observant man that he was, could spot a potential threat to Juu-chan's purity from a mile and a half away. They were all the same; overly cocky, arrogantly sly and way too egotistical to think they would stand a chance with Juushiro.

He didn't like them; in fact he could say he hated them. And he always made quick work of any brainless fool who thought they could defile his precious Juu-chan. He, however, had to do it on the quiet most of the time. Despite being over 2000 years old, Juushiro, bless him, still didn't understand the wonders of sexual flirting or why they would want to flirt with him.

How could someone so smart be so naive? Ah, but it was just another one of his charms.

Juushiro might not be able to pick up any sexual innuendo in a conversation, but Kyouraku could. He often didn't even need to hear what they said, as often he could tell through their facial expressions alone.

And so, after saving Ukitake from an unwanted admirer all the way back during their days at the Academy, Kyouraku had made it his mission, as Uki's best friend and confidant, that no one will lay a hand on their beloved angel of light.

Death won't come swift enough to those who dare to violate Juu-chan.

Ukitake's gentle loveliness was also the real reason why Kyouraku didn't let Ukitake go drinking, especially not alone. Not many know of this, and those who find out will have their minds abruptly erased, but Juushiro was a cuddly drunk. Yes, he would innocently cuddle up to just about anyone, purring almost like a kitten. Most of the time it was just nuzzling his head under their chin and maybe sit in their lap, but there were those who would take advantage of the situation.

Kyouraku didn't like to fight, but giving a good reason, he'll kill you five times before you hit the ground.

Unohana was, at first, confused as to why her Division would be inundated with random reapers complaining of broken bones that weren't sustained during battles, all of the reapers fidgeting, skittish and asking whether or not Captain Kyouraku frequent here often. She, of course, questioned him upon hearing his name from the paranoid reapers, to which Kyouraku had no problem telling her the truth.

As soon as she found out the real reason for their fractured bodies, she too felt rather irritated, understanding Kyouraku's action immediately and promptly gave them a full examination, plastic gloves and all.

That woman, she could be downright evil when she wanted to be.

The invisible hackles on the back of Kyouraku's neck suddenly bristled when he noticed from the corner of his eye a rather smug and overly confident lower rank Reaper approach Ukitake as he gazed out at the waters of the river that flowed through the Seireitei. Kyouraku immediately took to his feet, his Spiritual Pressure spiking from annoyance.

"Do you believe in love at first sight or do you want me to walk by again?" The currently unnamed reapers asked as he lifted a hand with the intention of taking Ukitake's chin in his grip.

Oh, talk about lame.

"Would you?" Kyouraku suddenly interrupted with a hand on his shoulder, squeezing it fiercely with a powerful grip, causing the nameless reaper to visibly wince under the strain and to pause in his movements. With his other hand holding the rim of his hat, Shunsui peered down at the other male, his visible eye piercing and dangerous.

"But this time, keep on walking," Kyouraku all but hissed into his ear, the atmosphere around them turning thick and deadly.

The other reaper swallowed thickly, as did everyone else in the surrounding three miles and nodded his head shakily, his face draining of colour. He then uttered an abrupt excuse for making a quick exit and then disappeared from sight, leaving behind a rather confused Ukitake and a slight irritated Kyouraku.

"Kyouraku?" Ukitake questioned him with an oh-so adorable expression of sheer perplexity on his flawless features. "What-?"

"Nothing, Juu-chan," Kyouraku said as he wrapped an arm around his shoulders and led him away. "Just fulfilling my role as a best friend, that's all."