Older, Wiser...Pregnant?

Title: Older, Wiser...Pregnant?

Pairings: A mention of ShunUki

Words: 717

Warnings: Female Ukitake and a brief mentioning of sex, but only very light.

There was a time, where someone who had lived for over two and a half thousand years would reach a point in their life where they've literally seen it all. Life and death struggles were common place, new and young upstarts meeting their downfall because of their cockiness, grudges having time to accumulate into an attempt to destroy order within the Soul Society.

As a captain, Juushiro Ukitake had participated in many a rescue attempt to save the world they know, been classed as an indestructible hero alongside her oldest and dearest friend, and secret husband Shunsui and helped raise and nurture many a young Soul Reaper. She had defeated many an impossible enemy, beat the greatest of odds and survived situations where there was little hope otherwise.

Being one of the three remaining original captains there was no way she could have avoided any battle, nor attempt not to be the Hero, especially in her younger years. She was willing to race off, take control of the situation and get pummelled in order to protect the Seireitei.

But now, she was beyond the age of acting as a hero, more than willing to allow her younger captains to feel the spotlight, to hear the praise. It was just after the last epic battle between good and evil that Shunsui suggested, after complaining that they were too old for this crap and that they retire from being classed as the Heroes; to let the young upstarts takes that role from the golden oldies.

With her back aching and her head pounding from a headache, Ukitake found herself agreeing. Really, being the Hero wasn't that fun anymore. It was downright exhausting!

She was happy to simply linger in the background, enjoying the peace their efforts were bringing to everyone. She was content with the role of the unofficial consoler of the Soul Society, comforting, nurturing, giving advice when needed, her vast experiences greatly appreciated by those younger than her.

Her role was getting easier as years went by, however, as there was very little in the world she ready did not know about. Relationship issues and the little dramas they bring never cease to amuse her, as do the lover's tiff they would ultimately occur.

There was very little that truly surprised her anymore; intrigued and confused, but not gasping out-loud and fainting surprise. And that was kind of disappointing. Life had become stale, stagnant, Kyouraku wooing her with every romantic trick imaginable already, although he was still unpredictable and loving, their lengthy time together doing nothing to hinder their love for each other.

Honestly, that man was still like some sex-crazed youngin when they made love. She must admit, however, that despite believing he was trying to kill her in the most pleasurable of ways, she was surprised by how she was able to match his passion time and time again.

It was true; sex became far more amazing over time.

No youngster would probably want to hear this, especially from a gentle and pure captain, but her sex-life with her ever loving husband was probably the most exciting thing in her life right now.

Sitting on a hospital cot within the Division Four's barracks, Ukitake stared out the window while she awaited her weekly test results to return. It was routine now, something well rehearsed and really quite dull. Although, she didn't mind if the results were the same, as least her illness wasn't getting worst, in fact thanks to the wonders of modern medicine, she was getting better.

The sound of the door being opened pulled her out of her thoughts and she turned, greeting her fellow captain as the ever graceful Unohana stepped into the room, but this time she held an expression that was a mixture of emotions, surprise and mild amusement being the most prominent.

"Congratulations, this is a first for you," Unohana said with a smile on her face.

Ukitake furrowed her brow in confusion. "Congratulations for what, Retsu-san?"

Unohana's expression changed little when she said the next few words that will turn Ukitake's world upside-down. "You're two months pregnant."

It took a second for the words to sink in before Ukitake reacted. She felt her eyes roll to the back of her head and she fell into a dead faint.