~The Slide~

Hey so the next few chapters including this one, might make you cry a little so I'm just warning you... Please don't hate me. I love you guys! Sorry!

(Y/N)'s POV

"How many do we have left?" I ask when the boys show up in the Griever hole. Cuts and bruises decorate their faces and arms.
Newt looks at me with displeasure then peers down at his feet, a look of great sadness washing over him. "Half," He manages to say, choking on his own words. "Twenty-one of us." He looks bad. A deep gash spreads over his cheek and his arms are purple with bruises.
I don't know what I was expecting. I knew a lot of people would die. So why is there a lump in my throat? "Oh..." I say, looking at the floor. Too many have passed away.
He puts a hand on my shoulder and urges me forward. "Come on," He says, "we have to keep moving."
I nod and have every intention to leave the room but for some reason my feet refuse to move with me.
Newt smiles sadly in the dark and kisses my cheek.
My heart races.
"It's okay," He whispers gently. "I love you."
I smile and hug him. He's amazing. Newt always knows how to stop my nervousness and cheer me up.

The pit in my stomach disintegrating, The Gladers and I make our way to the next room. Or, what I thought was the next room. The floor was slimy and I slipped, falling down a long slide.
"(Y/N)!" I hear Newt call out.
I can't see anything. Terror consuming me, I breathe heavily and let out a loud scream. Then I start laughing. I don't know if it's out of fear or if that's just the first sound that comes to mind but either way, laughing feels good right now.
I hit the floor with a thump and rise to my feet.
Other Gladers were coming down the slide now, each of them either gagging with nausea, or letting out excited cheers as they came to me.
Thomas was the last to come down. He falls on Teresa then makes gurgling sounds and crawls to a corner to throw up.
The room is large and strange. Huge windows line the walls, a person behind each one dressed in white lab coats.
There's no question about who they are, and from the way Minho growls, I know my assumptions are correct.
"Who are these people?" Chuck asks, his voice echoing off the rooms walls.
"The Creators," Minho spits at the floor then sucks in a deep breath, "I'm break your Shuck faces!"
His voice is so loud I almost jump in fright.
Every person behind the windows stare at us, no expression visible on their ghostly faces. They stay like this for what might've been a few minutes.
"What are they waiting for?" Thomas breaks the silence next to me.
"Maybe they're rebooting the Grievers." Newt says.
Chills go up my spine. I don't want to believe that's what's happening but it's entirely possible.
Newt sighs, his voice shaky. "Or maybe they're-"

The door a few feet away clicks and opens, cutting him off. A woman with the word  'WICKED' on her jacket emerges from it along with a hooded boy whose face I can't see.
"Hello," The woman says calmly, her voice devoid of emotion, "congratulations on making it this far. More of you survived over two years than I had imagined."
My jaw drops. Was that supposed to be a complement?
"Excuse me?" Newt growls from a few feet away, his body stiff. Riley stood next to him, his head tilted to the side.
The woman's eyes land on him. She doesn't make any kind of face. Just shakes her head. "Everything has gone according to plan, Mr. Newton." She says.
Mr. Newton?
"Which reminds me," The woman almost smiles as she pulls a gun from inside her jacket. "forgive me for this, but I have to do something. Just a simple variable."
Before I can ask what she's talking about, She takes the pistol and aims it at Riley. I lose my breath as she takes a step forward and shoots him in the leg.