Chapter 2 (aspens POV)

Hey guys I'm back I am writing in aspens POV now hope you enjoy please vote and comment!

-Freckledmyface

-------------------------------------------

(Aspens POV)

My family sat down on the couch and we flicked on the television my twin sisters bouncing up and down in excitement I sighed, I had been so depressed since I dumped America, I missed her so much but I knew deep in my heart it was the right thing to do. I sighed and looked up at the tv. The king was still catching up on the recent rebel attacks on the castle. finally he got to the selection.the king stood up and walked to the microphone.

"It is time! To pick the 35 lucky girls who will be brought to the palace to compete for the crown!"He said. The prince behind him shuffled a little, he must be nervous, I thought, well I would be too if it was up to me and I accidentally eliminated the wrong girl. Yikes . the king drew out the names, "Kriss from 3, Celeste from 2, Marlee from 4, America from 5-" my family burst into screams of joy I felt my face flush. I put a fake smile on my face and stood up and walked to my room.

I raced to my bed and planted my face into the pillow. And I cried. I cried for everything even though I knew it was for the best. I'd only make it worse. if I didn't break things off a week ago I would have only made her life a wreck.

She didn't see it how I did she thought she could handle it but I knew better. She wanted to start a family, so did I we both loved each other but she thought love was what would keep us going. I love her enough to do this. I did want her to starve like me. And spend the rest of her life working till she was nothing but bone just to get enough to supply her family. I couldn't do that to her at all. She just didn't know how much it hurt me to do this. I let out a sob.

She probably hated me now but this is for the best now. I can trust that now she will be happy she would get a one instead of a six. I sighed and walked toward my door and I heard the report still going. Elise, Tiny, Ashley, Celia-- The house went NUTS Celia my little sister was picked. I raced into the room and saw she was crying tears of joy. And my whole family was jumping up and down clapping. my mom was crying, "If your father was alive he'd be so proud of you!" she said. I smiled, at least one good thing came from the selection. Suddenly my stomach twisted, If Celia ends up with the prince...

Who will America get? And if America gets the prince who will my sister get. I suddenly felt a wave of nausea cross over me. I ran outside and puked in a bush. I could feel my face was very pale. When I entered I saw my sister Celia was grinning ear to ear. "America will help me right?" she asked try to keep the worry out of her voice. I plastered on a smile and nodded. then she walked away and I ran outside and threw up again.

Later that night I was laying in my bed starring at the chipping ceiling tile. I counted the cracks.

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Five.

Six.

Seven.

Eight.

Nine.

Ten.

Eleven.

Twelve.

Thirte--

I was cut off by a old knocking on my window. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. who would be here so late? I opened latch and threw up the window. A pale hand reached through the darkness and slapped my face. "That's for making me enter!" the voice whispered harshly. the voice was familiar.

Mer.

"What!?" I said taken aback, "What the heck are you doing here Mer? Do you know what they'd do if they caught you out here!?!?" her face came into sight dimly her red hair reflecting with a bright shine through the darkness. She looked exhausted, probably from lack of sleep. She slapped my face again. "and that's for breaking my heart." She hissed not even regarding my comment that her life was on the line. She slapped me one last time, hard across the face, hard enough to leave a bruise. "And that's for NEVER loving me!" she hissed directly at me, It hurt.

I opened my mouth to say something and I saw tears streaming down her cheeks. I closed my mouth I need to pick out the right words, to let her know I did this because I care. But when I looked up. She was gone, and all that was left was a penny with a note with it. the penny looked familiar. I looked at it from another angle and saw why. it was the penny I gave her the first time she sang to me it had a heart still in the center of it. I looked down to the ground and let my knees buckle. And I cried. And I never planned to stop.