Chapter 12 (aspens POV)

Ok so thank you for reading. I would like to thank you for the 300+ reads that's great!!!!! So I hope you like it and READ ON!!!!!

Chapter 12

(Aspens POV)

I woke up again in the middle of the night to another nightmare. I couldn't help it! I missed America so much and now she's love struck by this handsome prince! I couldn't take it. Less than a month ago she loved ME! She told me she'd never leave me, she told me she loved me and would never love anyone else.

The thought of her hurt. I was so stupid to let her go. To let her leave to go to the selection, and to kick her out of my life. I was a fool. I was so lucky to have her she was the best thing that had ever happened to me, being a six nothing ever good happens to me, and I let her go!

I flopped onto my stomach, not only was today another day to watch America be a love sick puppy over Maxon but it was also the day they drew names for soldiers for Illea. That was the reason I didn't propose to her too! If I was pick to be a soldier and died she'd be a widow. I didn't want that for her either!

My world has fallen apart! My life ruined. And all I have left is the penny she left me. My eyes started welling up. I wanted to see her so bad! I wanted to explain to her that I still cared, that I still loved her, I cared for her so deeply and I broke it. I just want her to know that... And I would never expect her to forgive me.

I rolled back onto my side and closed my eyes Americas face danced on the inside of my eyelids and I drifted back into sleep.

I woke up several hours later to the sounds of Kamber and Celia whispering back and forth in the hall. I threw my legs over the side of the bed and trudge out of my room. I looked at my sisters who were sitting against the wall whispering something in each others ears then giggling about it.

I smiled a little, they were so happy being 6s it was a little funny, we really aren't suppose to be happy like this. I walk slowly into the kitchen where my mom was. She had a sad look on her face and I knew exactly why.

After my dad died I was the only supplier for the family, I had to take on double the work. And if my name is drawn will will get the same amount of money as I make now. But I could die and when I die they will stop sending checks. And my family won't survive on the money they have now.

My small grin slowly faded into a frown. Today wasn't a day to be happy. Today was a day to hope and pray that I wouldn't get picked. And that's nothing to smile about.

My mom walked over and hugged me, I patted her back, "It'll be okay." I reassured her even though I didn't believe my own words. I walked back into my room and got changed. I picked up the penny that America had given me and kissed it. For good luck.

I walked out of my room in my best clothes which were about as expensive as a sack of potatoes.

My mom still looked sad, I looked t my sisters faces that were still so filled with light, but they both had a sorrowful look in their eyes. I couldn't help it, I let a tear roll down my face. I quickly wiped it away they couldn't know I was scared. if they did it would only terrify them more than they already were. I let out a heavy sigh and proceeded to walk to the door.

We finally got to the city hall the trumpets blared like cannons in my ears. They were loud.

The towns mayor came up onto the podium, he adjusted his bow tie, "Welcome, thank you for coming! Today is the day for the choosing of the soldiers, but we have a special request from the king, he wished to draw 3 extra names for guards for the castle. There have been a lot of recent rebel attacks and they have lost a lot of men. The selection girls aren't safe, the people picked as guards will be paid triple what soldiers are payed. And if you die... Your family will still receive checks because of your loyalty to the royal family. Let's begin..." My eyes bulged out of my head . What he had just said was exactly what I needed!!! I could see America again!

I rocked back and forth on my heels. He drew the soldiers names first... "Zachary Smith, Tyler Jones, Justin Anderson, Sky Hills, Steven Winter, Parker Hall, Stanly Tobias Davis, James Roush. These are your soldiers, from 6!" I let out a heavy sigh of relief. I had a chance to be a guard.

I sucked in a breath the moments started going slow motion. The mayor reached into the bowl and drew out the first name, "Shaun Kalihan." e slowly laid down the paper the reached his hand in and drew out another, "Caleb Jenkins!" He shouts into the microphone. My body clenched and sweat broke out on my body.One last spot... I sucked in my breath as his hand dug through the bowl.

Please,please,please,please,please, please!!!! he drew out the name and slowly lifted the flap... "Aspen Leger!" he said into the microphone with a hint of excitement in his voice I let out a heavy breath I was holding. I walked up to the stage where a plane was waiting behind. The three of us loaded in and we were off to the castle. More importantly, America.

<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

Just so you know... there have been a lot of questions to me like, Are you team Maxon or team Aspen? I would like to reassure all of you I am indeed team Maxon all the way! Please don't think I am lying because of this chapter! It hurt to write it!