The Accident

I wake up at seven, so I get up and take a shower. I sit in the family room on the computer, checking the social websites. Paul comes out about an hour later, already dressed. "Since we're both already dressed and ready to go want to grab some breakfast today?" he asks, a sneaky grin on his face. "What's happening? First you hinted at something happening today, then wanting to bring me out to breakfast. What's going on?" I ask, putting my no-nonsense face on. "I don't know what you're talking about," he says, acting innocent. "Fine, I'll find out soon enough. Are we going to pick up my parents?" "Not unless you want to. We can pick them on the way there from the café." "Okay. While we're there will you tell me what's going on?" I ask, not falling for his innocent act. "What are you talking about?" he asks, smiling evilly. I just sigh and drop it. When we get to the café we order what we want and sit down. As I'm biting into my breakfast sandwich Paul chuckles. "What?" I ask after I finish with my bite. "Oh nothing, just thinking about something." He is the worst liar ever. Almost as bad as Simon. When we finish we drive to the hotel and pick up mom and dad. I remain sitting in the front, mom and dad sitting in back. Thankfully, they show no signs of knowing what's happening. At least I'm not alone. When we get to the office Paul leads us to Lewis's office. "Hey guys, we're having a meeting in about an hour, so be in the 'council room' (what we call the common room)." "Will do," I say and lead my parents to my office.

I don't know whether to be scared or excited about the meeting. I'm not an idiot, I know it has something to do with Paul's strange behavior this morning. I show mom and dad my office, (trying to) explain to them how I record, edit, and upload. They just watch me smiling, their eyes saying "huh?" I laugh and settle for recording until the meeting. When Paul comes to get me for the meeting I stop the recording and follow him. "Can we join?" mom asks, obviously feeling out of place. "Of course! Everyone wants to meet you," he says, smiling. So we all head to the 'council room', where Paul and Duncan stand so my parents can sit next to me. "So Kate, we actually have a surprise for you. Can you guess what it is?" Lewis asks, smiling. I frown, "How in the world am I supposed to guess? Can you give me a hint?" "What's next week?" "Minecon. You guys won't stop talking about it," I say, not getting his point. Duncan pulls out an envelope and hands it to me. I open it to find a Minecon ticket, as well as a youtuber name tag. I gasp and hug him. "Thank you so much!!! This is going to be so awesome!!!" I say, hugging Lewis, who chuckles. "Long days, not much sleep, and being surrounded by fans. Are you sure you're up for it?" Paul asks. "Are you kidding?! That's what I'm excited about! I am physically unable to get sleepy, so the little sleep thing won't bother me. And I've been wanting to see my fans, and let them see me. Most of them have no idea what I look like, so it'll be interesting. Nothing would change my mind," I say, smiling excitedly. I look and see my parents' faces blank, I just laugh. "Minecon is the largest, coolest minecraft convention. It's super hard to get tickets, if you're not a famous gamer," I explain. They're faces light up and they hug me, "We're so proud of you! "

They stay for a few more days, then they head home. I feel sad seeing them leave; it makes me miss them even more. The next day when Paul and I head into the office Lewis, Simon, and Hannah walk over, faces pale and filled with sorrow. "What is it?" I ask, frowning. They look at each other until Lewis finally responds, "The plane you're parents were on crashed. There were no survivors."