Secrets Uncovered

The next week, after a few more days of suspicious activity from Kiera, I decide to confront her. "Is there anything you haven't been telling me?" I ask sitting in the extra chair in her small office next to Simon's. "What do you mean?" she asks. Dang, she's a good liar. "You just haven't seemed right lately. You seem jumpy and anxious. I just wanted to know if everything was alright," I say, hoping to elicit a response. "Thanks for the concern, but everything's alright. It's just, I don't have a real place to stay yet," she says looking down. "Where have you been staying?" I ask, confused. "At a small hotel down the street, my mother died years ago and my dad has gone missing." "I'd have to talk with Paul about it, but I bet he'd let you stay with us," I say, thinking. "You wouldn't mind?" she asks, smiling. "Of course not, but remember it's up to Paul. It's not my house." She jumps up and hugs me,"That's be so awesome! I'll try my hardest to find a new place to live. I don't want to be a burden," she says and leaves.

Kiera leaves early and returns just before Paul and I leave, a backpack in her hand. "Did you talk to Paul?" I ask, eyeing the bag. "Yep, and he said its fine," she says, following us to his car. When we get home Paul shows her the futon in the family room. Kiera lays her backpack down on the couch and pulls out her laptop. I join her, grabbing my own laptop. When it's time for bed Paul helps her pull the futon out, then heads to bed. I go to bed, but stay on my laptop for another hour, still editing a new series Duncan and I recorded today. I finally put my laptop away and turn the light off, but lay in bed, thinking. After a few minutes of quiet I hear my door open. I stay quiet, wanting to wait and see who I is and what they want. Suddenly I feel cold metal against my neck. I jump up, pushing the hand and knife away from me. I jump back, turning the light on. Kiera stands in front me, a knife in one hand and her other balled into a fist. Her eyes are hard, but I can see reluctance in them. "What are you doing? I thought we were friends," I say, moving farther away from her.

"We were, are, friends. But my boss_" Kiera says, looking down. I take a step towards her, but she immediately raises both her head and gun. I take a step back, raising my hands. "Your boss. What about your boss?" I ask. "Enyo, he REALLY wants your job. But now it's also about revenge. He blames you that he's in jail. He sent me to kill you. If I don't, he'll kill you himself. If I kill you now, it'll be fast and painless. He'll torture you. I'm only trying to help," she says, a few tears making their way down her face and he hand starting to shake. "He can't hurt me. He's in jail for life, and if he gets out Paul and the others will protect me. If he's threatened you or your family, we can help. You don't have to be afraid of him," I say, taking another step towards her. "I'm sorry," she says, her voice breaking. I take another step towards her, but a loud gunshot stops me. I feel fiery pain in my side. I look down and see a small red line on my side. It's only a flesh would. I step closer, Kiera dropping the gun. I pull her into a hug, shushing her as she starts to cry. I hear the door burst open, so I look up and see Paul in the doorway, looking worried. When he sees Kiera crying, with the gun on the ground, his expression hardens into anger. He goes to grab the gun, but I stop him. "Stop, it's not her fault. It was Enyo," I say, grabbing the gun with one hand. "That's no reason to try and kill you. She could have said no and left him to rot in jail," He says. "He..he threatened to kill my father. He's all I have left," Kiera says, starting to cry again. Paul's eyes immediately soften. He bends down next to us and puts his hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry, we'll help. You don't have to worry about him." After a few minutes she stops crying and lifts her face to look at us. "Why would you help me? I just shot you," she says, looking at me. "Because I've dealt with him before, and I know what it's like to lose a father. You don't deserve that pain," I say, brushing some hair out of her face. "Wait, she shot you? I thought she missed," Paul says, his fear returning. "Don't worry, it's just a flesh wound," I say. "Still, we need to get you to the hospital, it might need stitches," he says, helping me up. "Are you coming?" I ask Kiera. She looks worried. "Don't worry, you helped save me. There was a stranger on the street that shot at me. You helped chase him off," I say, giving her a small, devilish smile. "Thank you so much," she whispers.

We head to the hospital, where they stitch my side and give me some pain meds. We have to tell the police what happened. It was dark out, so we couldn't really see the shooter to describe him. They accepted our story and went to leave. But I stop them. "My friend here, Kiera, needs your help. Enyo, a criminal in jail, threatened to kill her father. Can you see if you can find the man who Enyo plans on sending after him?" "Of course, we'll give you a call if we know anything," one of the police officers says, so I give them my cell number. We head home, and on the way I have an idea. "Hey Kiera. Why don't you bring my bloody shirt and the bullet to show Enyo? Then he'll think I'm dead, at least until the police can help your father," I say. "What a great idea. I owe you guys so much. I am so so, so sorry about all of this," She says, looking sad. "Don't worry. If I had known my parents were going to die, I would have done anything to help them," I say. The pain has dulled tremendously, thanks to Paul, but it's still there.