24. How it should be

Gajeel's P.O.V.

As soon as she had fallen asleep, he scooped her up into his arms and sat her sideways on his lap. She pouted in her sleep before she wiggled a bit, making herself more comfortable in his lap before she rested peacefully against his hard body.

"How did you convince her to forgive you?" Lily looked at her and sighed sadly. Gajeel knew it was his fault that Levy was angry at his friend.

"I have no idea ... I simply said sorry and cared for her, that's everything I did. You know her Cat, she won't be angry at you for a long time, especially when she sees what we did last night".

Lilly nodded, still not averting his eyes from the woman in his friend's arms. Hopefully, he was right.

The fire slowly extinguished and everyone gathered their things to head back. They walked over to the boat and took in their seats. Gajeel carried her carefully in his arms and sat down on the edge, holding her tighter to his chest in order to keep her away from the beating wind.

It didn't matter what the others thought of him. Of course, it had to seem odd for everyone who knew him, caring about someone wasn't his speciality. But he tried his best for his shrimp. Laxus went to the front, starting the engine to drive them over the sea back to the mainland. While he walked passed him, he stopped for a moment. Laxus watched him intensely, just like he did before around the campfire, the disbelieve and anger visible not only in his eyes but also in his tensed body. They just stared at each other what seemed like hours, but it probably lasted just a few seconds. When Gajeel pulled his shrimp even closer to him, Laxus reacted.

"You know what happens when you hurt her Black Steel. I'll kill you. And I won't hesitate to do so. We both know she is too kind to you. One word from her, saying you did something she didn't like, you are gone from this world".

Gajeel just nodded. He agreed with every word his opponent had said. Dying didn't seem too bad in a world in that he had hurt his shrimp.

Laxus remained silent for another minute in front of him, watching him closely and probably trying to intimidate him, but there wasn't any effect on Gajeel other than averting his eyes from Laxus, looking back at Levy. He wouldn't be uninhibited by her brother anymore, being the one Levy trusted. Laxus had no other choice than going over to the steering wheel, away from his sister.

The boat floated steadily through the water and set everyone on it in the same mood. It was a beautiful, rather cold night due to the wind the boat caused while floating through the water with high speed. Levy wasn't the only one who has fallen asleep during the time on the beach or on the boat. On the opposite side of Gajeel and Levy were Natsu and Lucy, both sleeping soundly. Natsu once woke up for a minute, just to pull Lucy closer to him.

Freed was also sleeping, laying down on the bench next to Natsu and Lucy. Gajeel watched him for a few moments. He didn't like the way he had looked at Levy that day at all. He wasn't supposed to look at his shrimp with more than just friendly interest. But he did. The lust in his eyes was obvious, at least for Gajeel. Shrimp just acted like always towards Freed, kind and friendly. Gajeel wouldn't talk about this topic just yet. He wanted to observe Freed's actions, it could have been his imagination after all. But the half dragon knew better. He would watch him and talk to Levy when she saw it herself. Freed wouldn't get her that way anyways.

Looking around the boat once more, he notices Juvia sitting on the edge of the boat, her feet touching the water. As soon as he saw her, he searched for Gray, and surprisingly, he wasn't far away from Juvia, maybe standing a few steps away from her. He just stood there, watching her. Gajeel would have to punch some guts into this guy if he still wouldn't talk to his friend in more than a week. Everyone saw what he felt for her, expect Juvia herself. She had helped him every time and he would do exactly the same for her.