Chapter Eight // linked

•: Daniel Reed :•

.•: Daniel Reed :•.

I needed to shake off this feeling she was giving me. I don't even know how I felt, but it's like Paisley was closing herself off from me.

I saw how she was interacting with her family, she was loving and so sweet. And when it came to me she didn't even want to look in my direction.

Every time Jack would make a joke, her contagious laughter made it so hard for me not to smile, that's why I couldn't believe that the feeling wasn't mutual.

I wanted badly to get her alone again, despite that I felt doubt and anger earlier, I could never resist her. I hoped I wasn't crazy, and that Paisley Conner was indeed - my much younger mate - because if she wasn't going to recognize me, when she turned 16 on the 28th of June, I'm not sure what I would resort to.

"Momma, let's make peanut butter cups for everyone." Paisley's suggestion came out of nowhere, but it was hard for me not to be fascinated by anything she said or did.

Before Sandra's response, Paisley was already dashing up the stairs, her long legs taking them two at a time. What was she doing?

Paisley looked in my direction as she made her way back down two seconds later. Holding up something in her hand she said, "Cupcake liners!"

"Why were they upstairs?" Angie questioned. "But wow let's hurry up and make them, those are delicious!" She was enthusiastic, and her younger sister was so similar.

Everybody quickly migrated to the kitchen, I sat beside Jack and Alice as the girls went to making our apparently quick and easy dessert.

Paisley was pulling out the ingredients, and from what I could tell they were: baking chocolate and peanut butter and powdered sugar, and a jar of white stuff.

"What is that white stuff?" I questioned generally.

Paisley answered, snorting barely enough for my amazing ears to pick it up, "Coconut oil. Duh."

"Oh oops," I said, giving her a smirk. She wasn't ignoring me anymore. Very interesting.

After they had brushed, poured, layered and froze the candy imitation, we were all enjoying them sitting around the hard wood table.

This was quality family time if I'd ever had it, and I felt cozy in the kitchen of Paisley's home. It was a blue kitchen, and it just felt clean and safe as I bit into my third chocolate.

I hadn't felt this at home since before I graduated high school. It had been a long time and I was so happy. Melissa loved me, and I loved her, but it was hard to see her romantically, knowing all a long about my true mate. Paisley. Melissa and I weren't exactly a family, either.