Chapter Eighteen // out

.•: Daniel Reed :•.

It was half past midnight and I was finally in bed, I regretted ever sharing this space with Melissa

It was half past midnight and I was finally in bed, I regretted ever sharing this space with Melissa. I tried not to be irritated when heard my phone ring. I had to think to remember where I left it as the ringing brought me out of my misery. Being away from Paisley was the hardest thing I'd ever made myself do. It was impossible for every part of me not to miss her.

I got up from my relaxed position to follow the abrupt ringing, when I remembered that it was in my jacket pocket downstairs. Trying my best not to miss the call, I jogged down the stairs as fast as my body would allow. In the back of my mind there was a hopeful thought; the only person who I wanted it to be was her.

The ringing stopped as soon as grabbed my jacket from the rack and I reached into my pocket. 1 missed call. It was Paisley. I tried not to feel too much, but still instantly called her back. Ring. Ring.

"Daniel." Her voice was relieved and I heard her let out a soft sounding breath.

"Paisley? What's wrong? It's late," I asked her. I didn't want not to sound too concerned, or let her on to the fact that I'd been wishing just to hear her voice.

"Daniel, can you please come pick Gretchen and I up? We're at the beach. Gretchen lost her keys and we're sitting in her car with no way back to her house." She was mumbling and I could hear the frustration in her voice.

"Yes, I'm on my way. Stay in the car. Lock the doors." I demanded as I threw on my jacket. I was thinking the worst and feeling guilty for the distance I had forced between the two of us.

"Okay, thank you." The sincerity in her voice made me require a moment to close my eyes and regroup. She was so sweet. I never knew I'd be longing for her so badly.

"I'll be there soon, okay?"

"Mmhm."

The urge to tell her I loved her was insurmountable. It came on without a warning and it was about to slip out, before I heard her tap off. We hadn't even made it a week apart and I didn't think I was going to last much longer after tonight.

I sped all the way to the beach. Wondering what Paisley had been doing tonight, and if she felt the same as I did. I was thankful that she called me; I told her I would always be there for her. The wind came in through the opened windows, hitting my face, blowing through my hair and cooling me off from the anticipation of seeing Paisley.

I pulled up next to the sole car that was still in the beach parking area; a beetle with a certain blonde in the driver's seat. I got out of my car and Paisley stepped out of Gretchen's, her blue eyes shimmered in the moonlight. Luna.

I tried to shake off the thought, as our eyes met and she gave me a small smile. "Hi."

Before we could say anything else Gretchen was running towards my back seat, her behavior was different, her steps a little off. I looked to Paisley for answers, furrowing my brows.