Chapter Sixteen // away

.•: Daniel Reed :•.

 I could feel her nerves as we walked into the place I'd been a thousand times before; they were radiating off of her

I could feel her nerves as we walked into the place I'd been a thousand times before; they were radiating off of her. I felt bad, but I couldn't help but notice that I was starting to feel the same way.

I don't know if it was her nerves I was somehow experiencing, or my own. But I was starting to worry what Cherry would have to say to us. I had gone to her with questions the day Paisley and I started to have our unfamiliar mind links. She was the only one with information.

Paisley and I took a seat in the well lit office. It was older than my office that I'd had upgraded at home, but it was twice the size, with expensive oak furniture.

Cherry was an important member of the Pack, so despite that I was the Alpha and the matter was pressing, we were left waiting for a while. I held Paisley's hand until she pulled it away from me, and stood up.

"I smell something," she told me. I saw her walking out to the main office, where many older werewolves were busy at work.

I could see from my spot, where she was headed, there was an assortment of muffins in a wicker basket near the coffee stand. I watched her eat the whole thing in three bites as she hurried back to me.

Why was everything she did adorable?

As soon as she sat back down, Cherry followed behind her. Her glasses and graying hair came into my peripheral view as my eyes flitted to Paisley, studying her reaction.

"You must be Paisley Conner," Cherry said politely, while extending her hand and giving Paisley a smile.

"Yes, nice to me you - ?"

"Cherry," the old woman and I both said in unison, and Paisley nodded.

I loved that name.

I smiled at her thought, but I couldn't be distracted and neither could she. We had to find out how to slow down the mating process. It was all my fault that it had started.

This was an awkward topic to discuss, but I had already filled Cherry in on the situation.

"Daniel shared with me that you guys have begun the mating process," she said, her words were mainly directed at Paisley, who suddenly gripped my hand with clammy palms.

"Yes, it wasn't planned," I told her. I knew she wouldn't judge me, but I couldn't get the fear of it out of my head.

"That's fantastic." She smiled at us, gray eyes crinkling up at the corners. "I am very glad to have our true Luna to assist in leading our pack."

Paisley blushed and looked down at her lap. Just as she did that I heard like five dings come from her phone. I could tell she was trying to ignore them, but she finally gave up and looked at the screen, contrite.