Chapter One // the younger mate part 2

"What do you mean, your mate is only ten years old?" My dad questioned, giving me a bewildered look.

"I don't know dad, I thought maybe you would know what's going on," I responded, shrugging my shoulders, running my fingers through my hair and almost feeling the urge to pull it out.

"Well, I've heard of this before, I just didn't think it could actually happen," my dad said, shaking his head in confusion.

"You've heard of this? What do you mean? Has the Moon Goddess made a mistake?"

"The Moon Goddess doesn't make mistakes," he answered.

"Well then what does this mean? It can't be right. She's only ten, I'm eighteen tomorrow."

"It means that you have one of two choices. One, put your life on hold and wait for her to come of age. And two, mate with Melissa and forget that this ever happened," he paused, gauging my reaction. "I advise you choose the latter. An Alpha makes choices for his pack, not for himself. We can't just stand by and wait for you to be with your mate. You have duties as Alpha, and you need a Luna to stand by you."

"What are you saying? That I can't be with my true mate because of my Alpha duties?" I questioned, irritation ringing in my tone.

"Essentially, yes. I know it's hard son, but The Pack comes first. When you're an Alpha you have to make sacrifices for the better of your pack." He was trying to be comforting, but all I wanted to do was rip his head off. My wolf was enraged at the thought of not being able to be with his mate, and quite frankly, so was I.

"That's crap!" I shouted, shaking my head.

"It's either your pack or your mate. Make your choice son, hopefully you do it wisely."

And with that he was gone, leaving me to sit in his office alone. I kicked the desk in front of me angrily, watching a stack of papers gently fall to the floor, I should've kicked harder. Fuck! I didn't want to choose between the girl who was born to be with me, and the pack that I was born to lead. It wasn't fair! Not in the least. This was all so messed up.

Leaving my dad's office, I decided that a run would to my wolf and I some good. As I entered the woods, I quickly stripped off my clothes, placed them behind a bush, shifted, and began running.

The wind felt amazing in my fur, and wolf was content for the time being, though the thought of not being with our true mate destroyed him, I think he had faith that we would some how find a way to be with her. I, on the other hand wasn't so sure.

[A/N:Picture to the side is of Daniel (who is played by Penn Badgely). I'll be out with the next chapter soon! 47 reads, 15 votes, and 7 comments! Thanks for reading!]