Chapter Four // un-believable

•:Daniel Reed:•

.•:Daniel Reed:•.

This can't be happening. It's hard enough for me to resist her at it is. But to know that we're some kind of special mates who can not only hear each others thoughts in human form, but see what the other is seeing?

The Elders said not much is known about the kind of mates that we are, but there's usually an abnormality about the pair that pushes them away from each other. They believe it's the age difference in our case.

The offspring of mates like us are said to be some of the strongest werewolves to ever exist, though a case hasn't been reported in nearly 100 years. The Elders told me that I should be with my true mate, not only because she's my true mate, but because our pups will be strong.

I looked up from the table I'd been staring at for the past ten minutes, and took a sip of my coffee. I loved my actual mate, Melissa, but she couldn't even hold a candle to Paisley.

Everything about Paisley drew me to her. I'd notice a couple years ago that she was maturing, and it had been hard for me to resist her ever since. I felt like a pervert saying it, but it was my natural instinct.

My head was suddenly drawn to the entrance of the coffee shop where I smelled something. It was Paisley. Of course she would show up here!

We briefly met eyes, before she began ordering her drink. When the barista handed her the drink, and she began making her way over towards me, my heartbeat started to accelerate.

Paisley sat down across from me, one of her eyebrows raised. She pushed a few locks of her blonde hair behind her ears, before she set her curious blue eyes on me. "So, any word?"

"What?" I played dumb, even though I all too well what she was talking about. I hadn't really had time to think of what I was going to tell her, so I decided I would just go with what she had thought in the first place.

"Apparently I have some kind of special Alpha powers like you'd first thought," I lied, hoping that she couldn't tell. As good as I was at almost everything else, lying was not my strong suit.

His left eye is twitching, I could tell he wasn't being truthful. The thoughts flitted into my mind, and I realized that they were Paisley's. I tried acting as if I haven't heard them, as I cleared my throat.

"So how come they just kicked into effect all of the sudden?" she questioned.

I paused for a couple of seconds, trying to come up with a response. "The Elders don't know what set it off," I told her, shrugging a bit.

"Hmm." It was obvious that she didn't believe me, not only could I tell by her earlier thoughts, but her facial expression, as she gave me a little fabricated smile, told me that I was going to have to do some more convincing, or rather, lying.

"You don't believe me?" I asked her, trying to come off as hurt.

"Are you reading my thoughts, Daniel?" She smirked at me, folding her arms over her chest. Holy fuck, if her little attitude wasn't hot. I mentally punched myself, this was a fifteen year old girl I was thinking about. What was wrong with me?

"Are we on a first name basis now, Paisley?"

"Haven't we always been?"

"No, not really. I always got the feeling you didn't much care for me."

"Are you sure this mind reading thing only recently kicked in?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?"

"That I never cared for you much? Yes."

"Thanks!" I gave her a wry smile, slightly insulted that my own mate didn't like me. Maybe it was all those stares I'd tossed her way whenever she was around... I actually couldn't help myself though.

"Oh, no problem," she said, waving her hand sarcastically.

"I'm not lying to you Paisley," I said, knowing that if I told her the truth, she'd be beyond freaked out.

She just nodded, "Is that all they told you? That you have some kind of special powers?" she asked.

"Pretty much," I responded, "they didn't really know what to tell me."

"Okay, so this has nothing to do with me then?" she wondered, her relief was obvious, but she still looked weary. Guilt filled me as I looked at her beautiful, innocent face.

"No," I said shaking my head.

She sighed in relief, though I knew she still didn't believe me entirely. "Good."

"Why is that good?" I asked her.

She shrugged, "I just don't want to be caught up in any sort of drama."

She sure wasn't going to be happy when she found out the truth, then.

"Well, Alpha, it's been a pleasure talking to you, but I'd better get going now," she said, standing up from her seat.

"Wait," I called, when she began making her way toward the door.

"Yes?"

"Let me walk you home," I requested getting up to follow her.

She gave me a weird look, "Okay?"

I didn't care though, I wanted to spend as much time with her as I could before she discovered the truth. What would she think of when she realized I'd chosen to mate with someone else instead of waiting for her to come of age?

"So tell me about yourself, Paisley," I asked as we made our way down the street.

"What would you like to know?"

"Anything, what's the first thing that comes to your mind?"

"I plan to move back to Chicago as soon as I turn eighteen," she said, and I felt my heart drop. She can't do that, she can't move away from me!

"Oh, how come?" I asked, trying to stay calm.

"It's just where I feel the most at home," she told me, shrugging a bit. "Plus I'd give anything to have some Chicago style pizza again."

I laughed at her last sentiment, "You don't feel at home here?"

Her cheeks heated up, maybe she thought she'd insulted me. "No, I do. It's just I haven't even gotten to visit my father's grave since I was thirteen."

I nodded, "Yeah that would suck. My father died a couple of years before you came to live here," I told her, thinking back to the night after I'd told him I found my true mate, he'd dropped dead of a heart attack, the kind that not even a werewolf could survive, that night.

I'd felt obligated to fulfill his "quote un quote" dying wishes, so I mated Melissa, and tried to push the thought of my true mate as far back in my mind as was possible.

"I guess we have something in common then," she smiled at me, a big genuine smile, and I felt my heart melt. I had to be with her, she was everything I had wanted my entire life.

"Yeah, I guess we do."

[A/N: Over 4K reads, 27o votes and 40 comments! Hope you enjoyed, and thanks for reading!]