Chapter Twelve // love

•: Daniel Reed :•

.•: Daniel Reed :•.

Melissa never cried. I couldn't remember the last time she had, maybe I just didn't pay attention, but I was almost certain I'd never seen a tear leave her eyes in the whole nearly ten years I had known her.

As Paisley sat beside me, breaking down, I truly didn't know how to react or what to do - you would expect I had some experience with this sort of thing - since I'd had a woman in my life for so long, but I really didn't.

The car was already pulled over, but Paisley was slumped, head in her hands, gently sobbing. She wouldn't look at me as my eyes scanned the car, not knowing wear to focus.

I wanted to touch her and comfort her, to rub her back that was clothed in my button up, but I was positive she didn't want that.

I was lost, the one causing this beautiful girl sadness, but all I wanted was to be with her. When I was away from her, it was almost painful. She brought so much purpose to me without even trying.

"Paisley," I whispered gently. I then cleared my throat. I heard her take in a deep breath and pause. "I can take you home if you want."

She sighed deeply, and I was on high alert, just waiting for her response. It didn't come though, as a car came barreling through the street we were parked on, Paisley jumped, but we watched it speed away. It had cut it close to my car, I wasn't thrilled about that, and I was livid that the idiot driver scared Paisley.

"Yeah okay, you should probably get out of this spot before we are hit."
She had raised her head and was wiping tears away.

I could see - in the light - her blue eyes, they were watery and contrasted with the reddened circumference of her eyelids. Her makeup was slightly smudged, but she was still too beautiful. I loved her.

I did as instructed, and began our short journey to her house. Hoping she hadn't listened in on my earlier sentiment. I couldn't tell anybody the way I felt about Paisley. In everyone else's eyes, my feelings for Paisley were immoral, wrong, impossible.

I was the Alpha, though. I could do as I wanted, nobody really had a say, but I would obey Paisley's wishes, and only hers.

I wanted to stay with him, but I didn't know how to act.

Paisley's thought entered my mind and I kicked myself, I could've still taken her to get desert, but we were now almost at her house.

I feel so safe with him.

I swallowed hard as I delved in to a part of my genetic make-up that I wasn't familiarized with, the part of me where Paisley and I were one.