Chapter Eleven // tears

•:Paisley Conner:•

.•:Paisley Conner:•.

Once the feeling of his lips on mine had nearly worn off and realization hit me like a couple tons of bricks, I pulled myself away from him, still feeling the tingle in my hands from the contact with his chest.

"We are not doing this, Daniel," I declared and put a hand to my lips.

There was something else I had not seen before in his eyes, as I made as much distance between the two of us as possible in the tiny car. It scared me and excited me simultaneously.

"You are mine." He was dead serious, but I couldn't believe him - no - I wouldn't believe him.

"I am not anybody's." I tried to be as meaningful as he had with his previous words but it didn't turn out; my tone couldn't match up to his.

"You aren't anybody's, but mine."

At that point I realized it wasn't exactly Daniel I was talking to, but his wolf and his instincts were taking over, that however, wouldn't stop me from my rebuttal.

"And you're Melissa's."

"No," he stated sternly, breaking our eye contact.

"Yes!" I insisted, not wanting to believe that I was telling the truth.

He sighed deeply, when he looked back at me, I saw that his eyes had gone back to normal, and I breathed a sigh of relief to contest his.

"This is all my fault. I am the stupidest man alive," he said in general; he was speaking to me, but I think to himself as well.

I wanted to console him, I was trying to come up with something to put him and his wolf at ease. I was no good at comforting people, especially men, especially when it felt like my heart had been forcefully removed from the safe warmth of my chest with his own bare hands.

I was hurting too.

My mind was telling me to detest Daniel, but I couldn't, he was my mate. I really didn't understand my feelings, I had never been so conflicted and heartbroken at the very same time, I had never come close to it.

As I sat there, the tingling was still slowly dissipating from his touch and our kiss; and it was replaced with the kind of red hot anger I had barely ever felt once before in my life.

"I will go away for college in the Fall, we just have to make it through this summer. It won't be so hard." I said it, but it hurt so much worse than I was pretending; did I really want that?