Chapter 9

It was almost night time yet again. 

I stood in the kitchen behind the short island and faced the sink.

In front of me consisted of a window that had a blurry finish making it non transparent. I tipped the glass cup of water I had in my hand into the pot plant on the windows seal. 

It was a small brown pot that held a single stem, the leaves droopy and no presence of a blooming flower. 

All in all it was close to lifeless- like me. 

As I slowly poured the water, I leaned with one elbow resting on the edge of the sink, chin in palm watching the water pour.

The soil immediately soaked it in and now held a damp texture as I placed the cup upside down onto the faded white rack beside the sink, backing away. 

My lower back rested on the bench behind me as I continued to stare at the pot plant with my head slightly tilted to the left, mind and body blank.

I probably would've stood there blankly for several more moments if it wasn't for the light knock on the door that made me glance over my shoulder. 

I slowly leaned off of the bench and took small steps towards the door. 

I put my hand on the handle and paused. 

I stared forward at the wooden door and tried to think of who it could be.

I knew it wasn't my mother. She only dropped in the house for a few hours when I was asleep and she'd sometimes only come in to prepare me a meal and then leave. 

The last time I spoke to her was when I coincidentally had been awake and she was leaving with an older man.

This was the first time someone had ever knocked on the door therefore it was puzzling as to who it could be. 

There was another light knock and I blinked as I pulled the door open and ignored the slight wind as I peered at the person before me. 

I stared at him blankly.

"Hey Grace," an overly cheerful voice said as his hands were coolly slipped into his khaki green jumpers front pockets.

"Ethan," I replied bluntly. 

I was confused by his presence and stood silent as I stared at him. He too stared back with a smug like grin and began to speak. 

"Ever since they cleared up the cemetery I haven't seen you around," Ethan pointed out as he looked at me up and down, "-came to see if you were around."

I continued to give him a blank stare waiting for him to say something else. I barely knew Ethan however didn't bother to ask him how he knew where I lived. 

"Why?" I asked expressionless as Ethan continued to gaze at me with his bright green eyes.

 The sun had gone down however its few remaining rays still allowed a dull light and so did the single lamp post across the street. 

"Why not?" Ethan answered with an amused look, "-There's not much to do in this part of town and you're interesting to talk with. Plus Roy and Tim are out of town right now." 

I didn't respond however did let go of the handle, my other hand still resting on the door frame. Ethan's tone was friendly and I didn't understand why he was talking with me. 

Or how he found my emptiness interesting.

"Cool," I said as I gazed behind him looking at the trees. 

These passed few days I seem to have been forced to communicate with all these strange people. 

Ethan was persistent and nodded his head towards the graveled long road.