Chapter 14

After awhile, Luciano left my house. Only to say that he'd be back sometime soon.

Luciano's presence was consistent however each time he would leave, I was always left with several thoughts and questions. He was hard to understand.

Although I didn't care, I still thought about him immensely. Questions constantly occurring in my mind.

Who he was before he died.

How he died.

Who the human lover was that Axel mentioned.

Yet I didn't feel enough curiosity to find out. Nor was it anything that involved me in anyway.

However lately my thoughts revolved more on these creatures and supposed danger, rather than the thoughts of isolation and time leading towards death.

It didn't appear to be as dull. But then again these days I also didn't have as much time alone to think for hours like I used too.

That thought itself was cut short as light knocking sounded on the door.

I prompted up onto my elbow on the sofa I was laying on. I was a couple of steps away from the door and I slowly stood up.

It was strange how I knew the presence wasn't Luciano's.

But then again the light knock didn't match Axel's playful one nor did it match Luciano's non existing knock at the door.

I opened the unsteady door and paused.

I stared up at green eyes and didn't make any movements to welcome Ethan, who stood at my door.

However I was the first to speak.

"You again?" I asked in the same blank tone as always however I was surprised.

Perhaps to him I was a good friend. Because even with my blandness he still put the effort into coming to my house.

"Grace," Ethan commented pleasantly as he slipped his hands out of his green hoodie, "-Nice to see you again," he said with a cheery smile.

I didn't respond right away however I did notice Ethan shift in his spot as he glanced behind me. It was evident he was waiting for an invitation to come inside. Any regular person would probably offer tea or a soda.

Whatever it was people did.

Ethan was strange. He was an optimistic person in which I couldn't act compatible with and despite our awkward encounters he didn't act strange or anything close to timid.

I slightly inched back and glanced inside my house. I stared dully at the crumbled cement on the wall near the halls entrance that Luciano had slammed Axel into.

I then stepped outside closing the door behind me, placing strands of dark hair behind my ear as I looked around my front yard plainly.

"Ethan," I commented flatly as a form of greeting.

Ethan's face lit up in response as he wore an amused smile, "So you haven't forgotten my name yet."

I looked up at him and slightly tilted my head. His light nature reminded me of Axel in a way and I thought about how they might get along with one another. Much more than Luciano and Axel did.

"Did you want me to?" I asked, tone neutral like always.

I didn't know if I was trying to be sarcastic. However I looked down, feeling empty. I didn't know why I was engaging into the conversation more than necessary.

Ethan suddenly placed his left hand over his chest, eyes widening.

"Were you," he paused, "-were you being funny?" he said humour glinting in his eyes as he looked at my blank expression with a smile.