Chapter 28

We laid in bed in complete silence. It was the first time Luciano simply laid with me throughout the night. Luciano was somewhat sat up and played with a strand of my hair as I stared into the moonlit room, not making a sound. 

I wasn't sure how to feel. The affects of the drinks I had had worn off and I felt tired and heavy. 

My eyes also felt heavy, however I did not want to close them. I was worried what might happen if I did. 

"Do not do that again," Luciano suddenly spoke. 

I didn't respond. There wasn't much for me to say, nor to make up an excuse.

"There's some here," he then said in more of a hushed tone and I felt myself shiver. I knew what he meant by that. He meant vampires. 

Somehow, vampires in the place we stayed now seemed worse. This place was much more lively and active compared to home. If something big happened- people would take notice. 

I slowly lifted my head up on the pillow to look up at Luciano. I blinked as he was already gazing down at me and I put my head back down. 

"They wont be around for long," he added at my sudden gaze.

I shifted slightly, "Are you going to kill them?" I heard myself ask. 

Luciano didn't respond. However his silence was enough. This might explain his absence and I'd imagine he had been hunting them down. 

"How many?" I asked again and I heard Luciano shift a little this time. He then let out a sigh and I felt his hand pause and hold the strand of my hair he was playing with. 

"A bit too many. Nothing I can't handle but they're too spread out. Too much going on at the same time," he said and I sensed he was going to say more, "-I called for help." He then added distastefully. 

I peeked a glance up at him once more. He was staring ahead with a clenched jaw and an annoyed expression almost. 

I wasn't sure what he meant by help. But what I did know was that he had to leave my side again shortly. 

This meant people were dying slowly, every night, and that Luciano couldn't possibly get to them all at once. I wondered why he had made this his duty and what he had planned for the two of us. 

Guilt? He had a major role to play in the past. He promoted feedings and probably might have been the biggest influence of them all. 

"Is this town going to die as well?" I asked openly and bluntly. Luciano placed his hand under my chin and lifted my head up slightly to look at him. 

"I'm going to stop them before that can happen," he said with cold eyes but his touch was gentle. 

I couldn't help but let the negative thoughts of mine swirl around my head. Despite my new discovery to want to somehow live, I still couldn't shake off the simplest question that would aggressively repeat itself in my mind. 

Why me?

"Why," I whispered, sounded somewhat sick of speaking, and tired of the question, "-why did I get to live? Why do I still get to live?" 

Laid down, I looked into his eyes searching for an answer. 

"I'm so ungrateful. People wanted to live, and they didn't. I never cared and-" I paused as I felt wetness on my cheek. I felt no emotion and empty however some tears had managed to escape me. 

I blankly glanced away, leaning further into the pillow. 

Luciano's hand softly wiped at a tear with his finger as he continued to gaze down at me.