Clockwork Angel - Awful Wonder

Part 1

Clockwork Angel

Chapter 20

Awful Wonder

London, 1878

There was a girl, no older than fifteen, wearing a strange outfit that was almost too scandalous to look at. Her hair was a strange silver, obviously natural, that fell to her waist in loose curls. Pale skin, small but obvious features that were even more painfully obvious against her clothing.

She was pretty, it was a fact, but Sophie Collins couldn't help but gape with horror at the girl. She was too far away to make anything else out about her other than the fact that she was carrying a type of satchel with her, unlike any lady should carry. She was standing under the gates of the Institute, looking up worrisomely at the old church. Sophie could almost tell what she was thinking; This is wrong. This shouldn't be here.

"Mrs. Branwell!" Sophie called after a few seconds hesitation. She flitted from the window to the hall before moving quickly to the drawing room where Charlotte Branwell, her employer, was writing and reading troubling letters.

Sophie knocked hurriedly, almost not waiting for Charlotte to invite her in.

"Yes, Sophie, what is it?" Charlotte's thin face creased with worry as Sophie stood in the doorway.

"There's a girl, Mrs. Branwell, she's..." Sophie almost sighed helplessly. It sounded so useless and stupid to be so worked up about just some girl. "Well, you'd have to see for yourself, Mrs. Branwell, it's difficult to explain." Sophie gestured to the window, where the girl was more easily visible.

Charlotte met Sophie at the window, pulling back the curtains to see the girl. Charlotte gasped the same way Sophie had when she saw the girl's attire and her hands flitted nervously from her mouth to her chest. "Sophie, would you mind altering everyone of our..." There were no words to describe this. "Have them come to the entrance hall, please."

"Of course," Sophie nodded politely, moving as quickly as she dared to get the other residence of the Institute.

Sophie found James Carstairs and Theresa Gray in the music room with the cat, Church. "Mrs. Branwell requests that you meet with her in the entrance hall, Master Jem, Miss Tessa." Sophie said, slightly out of breath. "Would you happen to know where Master Will is?"

"He's out," Jem frowned, his silver hair, Sophie noticed, matched the girl's. "What is it, Sophie?" His voice was calm and kind, making Sophie's nervous stomach settled only slightly.

"It's rather difficult to explain, Master Jem," Sophie worried her bottom lip. "Mrs. Branwell just asked that you meet her in the entrance hall as soon as possible."

Jem and Tessa nodded obediently, standing from their place in the window sill. From there, the girl wasn't easily seen from that angle but still there. Sophie nodded worrisomely and took off again to fetch Mr. Henry Branwell and Miss Jessamine Lovelace. When she knocked on Jessamine's door, Sophie was told to leave and that she didn't care to go to the entrance hall. So Sophie sighed helplessly, replied with a polite "Yes, miss," before taking off once more down the hall toward the spiraling staircase of the old church crypt.

"Mr. Branwell," Sophie had to raise her voice as she knocked against the heavy door.

There was a faint "Come in!" And Sophie headed in. "Mr. Branwell," Sophie said again. Henry looked up, his unruly red hair even messier than usual. "Mrs. Branwell asks that everyone meets her in the entrance hall as soon as possible."

Henry frowned, the dreaminess fading. "What is it, Sophie, do you know?" They struck up a conversation as they made their way quickly up the stairs.