Chapter 5 - Forever or Longer

Chapter 5

Forever or Longer

As Magnus readied the spell, using Tessa's necklace as the main source of power, Brother Enoch was present to help aid with Jem's curing. The resistance of the London Institute were all gathered in the Sanctuary as Magnus worked, silent as he worked until...

"I had a thought last night," Magnus said. "About Mortmain and the drug trade."

"And that was?" Charlotte asked, refocusing on Magnus.

"Perhaps you ought to keep Mr. Carstair's healthy turn a secret until Mortmain is stopped." Magnus said nonchalantly. "Allow Mortmain to believe that he still has a stronghold over you."

Charlotte and Jem shared a glance before Charlotte said "Thank you, Mr. Bane, we will keep that in our minds."

"Of course," Magnus nodded, returning to his work. Soon enough, it was done. Magnus stood back, the the spell book in Will's hands as Magnus chanted the spell, the scrawls on the floor glowed and Tessa's grip on Jem's hand tightened in anticipation.

With finality, the clockwork Angel seemed to shudder before there a glowing deity so bright that the summoners had to shield their eyes.

"I graciously thank you, son of Lilith," An echoing voice made them look up at the angel, "For freeing me from that infernal clockwork prison."

"Host of Heaven," Magnus bowed gallantly. The others, even Brother Enoch, followed in suit. "It it such an honor to be in the presence of thee."

"There is something you seek, warlock," The angel said mildly. "Do not be afraid to speak your request."

"James Carstairs, Nephilim," Magnus said, gesturing for Jem to step next to him, "Had been tortured to the point that his body is dependent on the demonic drug yin fen. His parabatai, William Herondale, has been seeking for a cure. His searches led us to the Heavenly Fire, which in turn led us to you, Angel."

"I am not your pardon angel, James Carstairs." The angel's voice rumbled kindly. "I should not be the one you summon."

"Excuse me, Angel," Magnus bowed his head respectfully. "We did not summon you, we freed you - no Heavenly thing should be imprisoned."

There was silence.

"I will help you," The angel said at last, "If you can name me."

Everyone froze, looking to each other. Will looked helplessly to Evan, who was frowning at the angel in turn.

"You need not be Shadowhunter."

"Ithuriel," Evan said quietly to Will. He looked down at her again, and she nodded in encouragement.

"I name you," Will said more loudly, cautiously, "Ithuriel."

"Correct," Ithuriel nodded, turning to Jem once more. "Step forward, James Carstairs."

With his hands shaking, Jem cast one more look to Will before stepping towards Ithuriel, immediately being engulfed in flames.

Tessa gave a small scream and Will caught her in a brotherly hug, watching stoney-faced as Jem's silhouette fell to his knees. Charlotte clung to Henry, who in turn wrapped his arms around Charlotte. Gideon stood aside, near Evan and Cecily, who looked back at him. Surprisingly, he sent her a small smile of reassurance. Will let go of Tessa with one hand, taking Evan's hand in his own, his grip hand-crushing.

No one could tell if it was minutes or hours, but the flames dimmed slightly and Evan pulled Tessa out of Will's grasp as the flames diminished completely - Ithuriel gone with it. Will was already sprinting past Magnus, catching Jem as he slumped forward - his clothes smoking and his hair dark.