Chapter 8 - A Shadow on the Soul

Chapter 8

A Shadow on the Soul

Will was still gone the next morning when Tessa had made her way to breakfast. Everyone was surprised, although admittedly, Jessamine and Evan (another shock) weren't as concerned. Or rather, Evan was concerned for another reason.

"Oh, he'll be back for goodness' sake." Jessamine exclaimed, banging her teacup on her saucer. "He always does come crawling home, Look at the two of you - and Evan! Like you've lost a favorite puppy!"

Evan screwed up her face at Jessamine. "I'm allergic to dogs. And if Will was a dog, he'd be a rabid pitbull - hardly a puppy." Then she glanced at Jem as she repeated. "Besides, Will can take care of himself."

"Do you think he might have gone back to Yorkshire?" Tessa asked. "To warn his family?"

"I.... I don't think so." Charlotte looked like she was trying very hard not to look worried - she was failing. "Will has avoided his family for years. And he knows the Law. He knows he cannot speak to them. He knows what he would lose."

"When he saw Cecily, at the manor, he attempted to rush to her -" Jem started.

"In the heat of the moment." Charlotte said surely, but mostly - it sounded - to reassure herself. "But he returned with you to London; I am confident he will return to the Institute as well. He knows you obtained that button, Tessa. He'll want to discover what Starkweather knew."

"Precious little, really." Then Tessa proceeded to explain what she gained from Starkweather's memories about the Shades, though she knew nothing of importance about Ravenscar Manor. Evan had leaned back in her seat, not as if she was disinterested, but as if... well, Tessa was reminded of Will when she looked at Evan. The stony persona, the defection of affection - well, Tessa said, not as if she didn't want the affection. Just as if she couldn't handle it; as if she didn't deserve it. Tessa thought that perhaps it was just because of Evan's loss of her family, but she was beginning to wonder if it ran deeper than that.

Soon after, Sophie entered the dinning hall with a pot of hot water. Charlotte brightened at the sight of her. "Tessa, Sophie, Evan, Jessamine," She said, "Lest you forget, you all have training this morning with Gabriel and Gideon Lightwood."

"I cannot do it." Jessamine said immediately.

"Wouldn't want your headache to come back, would we?" Evan said without looking at anyone.

Jessamine glared at her, but she seemed unfazed. "I'd prefer to help you, Charlotte."

Evan returned Jessamine's glare as she and Charlotte and Jessamine had a quick debate. Finally, Charlotte agreed and said "In the meantime you won't say anything to the Lightwood boys about Yorkshire, or about Will? I could do without having them in the Institute right now myself, but there's no help for it. It's a show of good faith and confidence to continue the training. You must behave in all ways as if nothing is wrong. Can you do that, girls?" Her eyes finally rested on Evan.

"Of course we can, Mrs. Branwell." Sophie smiled brightly.

"You have that look that my mom always gave me," Evan said with a small smile. "But I won't say anything."

"What look that your mother always gave you?" Charlotte said almost incredulously.

Evan shrugged daintily. "You know, the mother look. I think you've mastered it, Mrs. Branwell." Then she got up, following Sophie out of the room. Charlotte looked after her, very confused and very flattered.

"I agree with Evan," Tessa said lightly with a smile, following after Sophie and Evan.

Evan showed up slightly late to training, wearing one of her brother's really big sweatshirt and workout leggings with tennis shoes. She had her notebook, walking in as Tessa set her chin and said "It's quite a common occurrence, nothing to fuss about. Will is a - free spirit. He'll return soon enough."