Chapter 24 - The Measure of Love

Chapter 24

The Measure of Love

The Council room was lit up brighter than Will had ever seen it. Two Ascensions today, both Ascenders in their gear, hair unbound and falling to their waists. The runes in the spaces between the circles were runes of binding, of knowledge and runes symbolizing their names. The room wasn't crowded, but those who were there were getting as close to the two configurations of circles as they dared.

The Consul stood in scarlet robes that billowed out around her. Her hands outstretched with the Mortal Cup cradled in them. The older of the two, the dark haired Ascender, was to go first.

"Take the Cup, Sophia Collins." Consul Charlotte Branwell's soft voice carried throughout the breathlessly silent room. Gideon, Gabriel, Cecily, Jem, Tessa, Will and Henry were all leaning forward in anticipation as Charlotte lowered her hands and gave the Cup to Sophie, who took it carefully. "Do you swear, Sophia Collins, to forsake the mundane world and follow the path of the Shadowhunter? Will you take into yourself the blood of the Angel Raziel and honor that blood? Do you swear to serve the Clave, to follow the Law as set forth by the Covenant, and to obey the word of the Council? Will you defend that which is human and mortal, knowing that for your service there will be no recompense and no thanks but honor?"

In a steady voice, Sophie said "I swear."

"Can you be a shield for the weak, a light in the dark, a truth among falsehoods, a tower in the flood, an eye to see when others are blind?"

"I can."

"And when you are dead, will you give up your body to the Nephilim to be burned, that your ashes may be used to build the City of Bones?"

"I will."

"Then drink," Charlotte finished.

Will heard Gideon draw a breath, waiting for the most dangerous part of the ritual as Sophie drank from the Mortal Cup, the gold and crystal rim sparkling in the light of the skylighted dome. There was a white-blue light that blinded them all and obscured the Ascenders and Consul from the spectors. As the light faded, Sophie handed the Cup back to Charlotte, who was smiling.

"You are Nephilim now," Charlott said. "I name you Sophia Ashdown, of the blood of Jonathan Shadowhunter, child of the Nephilim. Arise, Sophia."

Sophie stood, and there was cheering. As she left the circle, Gideon met her and spun her around, still cheering. But it soon subsided as the second, younger Ascender was addressed.

"Take the Cup, Charlotte-Evangeline DeLuca." Charlotte, once again, lowered the Cup into mundane hands. Evan's hands didn't shake as she took the Cup. "Do you swear, Charlotte-Evangeline DeLuca, to forsake the mundane world and follow the path of the Shadowhunter? Will you take into yourself the blood of the Angel Raziel and honor that blood? Do you swear to serve the Clave, to follow the Law as set forth by the Covenant, and to obey the word of the Council? Will you defend that which is human and mortal, knowing that for your service there will be no recompense and no thanks but honor?"

"I swear." Evan's voice was soft, but sure. Will leaned forward, hands clasped to keep from shaking.

"Can you be a shield for the weak, a light in the dark, a truth among falsehoods, a tower in the flood, an eye to see when others are blind?"

"I can."

"And when you are dead, will you give up your body to the Nephilim to be burned, that your ashes may be used to build the City of Bones?"

"I will."

"Then drink," Charlotte finished. Everyone held their breath. Just as it did for Sophie, the blue-white light surrounded them, and as it faded, Evan gave the Cup back to Charlotte.