Chapter 21 - Coals of Fire

Chapter 21

Coals of Fire

Miss DeLuca,

I will arrive in three days' time. I will tell no one that you wrote to me. I will hold you to your promise of seeing my parents again. Mr. Ragnor Fell did not give me your letters but another warlock by the name of Magnus Bane spoke to me personally. He was the one to convince me to trust you. He told me that my brother held you to the highest esteem; that he trusts you as much as he trusts his own parabatai. That he is deeply in love with you.

Thank you for contacting me,

Cecily Herondale

Three days later, Evan woke up much like the day two weeks ago. Sophie helped her in the lavender dress with the same style and silver accents the navy one had. Her hair was half up and half down, held up with a lavender ribbon. She wore her earrings in the correct piercings, deciding that the small act of 1878 rebellion was necessary. With her cheeks lightly blushed, her lips lightly colored and her boots laced, she made her way down to the carriage. Will met her halfway down, offering her his arm.

"I went to Whitechapel last night." Will told her. "Two years' worth."

Evan nodded. "You do realize that I have no idea exactly what I'm looking for until I find it, right?"

"Of course. And we're on limited time. You'll have training, research and -"

"Finding evidence." Evan concluded. "And did you just say 'we'?"

Will grinned at her. "You didn't think I'd let you do all that by yourself, did you?"

Evan could only smile back. "You're pretty good at trusting me when I can't give you very much to go on."

"Can you at least give me a time limit?" Will amended.

"Two and a half months at the most." Evan said confidently.

"And that will be enough time...?" Will asked.

"Yes." Evan said just as confidently. "Actually, it should be more than enough time."

"Really? Why all the extra time?" Will smiled knowingly.

"I don't work well under pressure!" Evan exclaimed as they met Tessa and Jem at the front of the Institute. They exchanged pleasantries before climbing into the carriage with Gideon Lightwood, Charlotte and Henry.

The Council chambers was decorated with banners carrying runes of judgement. The Londoners sat in the front row, where they could clearly see the dais and the entire Council. Benedict Lightwood sat with Gabriel in the center of the chambers on a raised platform. Gabriel looked slightly unkempt and glanced towards his brother when they entered but looked away quickly, not saying anything.

Evan recognized no one in the crowd besides the Lightwoods, the Consul and the Inquisitor. She sat in between Will and Gideon. Oh the other side of Will sat Jem, then Tessa. On the other side of Gideon sat Charlotte and Henry. Evan had a prickling feeling at the back of her neck and she turned to see Aloysius Starkweather. She didn't have time to tell Will, because the Consul was behind the lectern.

"We are here to determine to what extent Charlotte and Henry Branwell have been of assistance to the Clave during the past fortnight in the matter of Axel Mortmain, and whether, as Benedict Lightwood has put in a claim, the London Institute would be better off in other hands." The Consul's voice rang through the room as clear as crystal.

The Inquisitor rose to his feet, carrying the Mortal Sword. "Charlotte Branwell, please come up to the lectern."

Charlotte obeyed, climbing the stairs to the stage where the Mortal Sword was laid across her palms. Her hands wrapped around the blade. Quietly, she recounted everything that had happened in the past two weeks. She was able to skirt around certain things that wouldn't have made a significant difference but Evan had a feeling that each skipped detail protected each of them; Will's adventure to the ifrit's den, for example.