Chapter 9 - Graven in Metal

Chapter 9

Graven in Metal

Charlotte shouted orders, Henry ran to the first carriage, opening to find Jessamine tumbling out, her beautiful blonde hair shaved close to her scalp. "Henry," She sobbed, "Help me, Henry. Get me inside the Institute, please -" But just as Henry turned to get Jessamine inside, the second carriage's door opened and automatons came pouring out - unfolding like origami figurines and charging forward.

There was the murmurs and shouts of Latin before the Shadowhunters and automatons clashed. Jem called Tessa's name as he dashed forward with Will seconds behind him but Evan was already next to her, notching arrows at the automatons that were still piling out of the carriage. "Tessa," Evan said loudly, "Tessa! Get in the Institute!" Tessa whirled and ran inside, but was back again with a sword from the entrance hall. "No!" Evan groaned, releasing another arrow. The arrow lodged itself in the automaton Henry was battling, and the creature fell, spasming as it did.

Evan didn't have time to check on what anyone else was doing - all she needed to do was get Tessa inside. "Tessa, please -" Evan turned to see Tessa trying to fight off a particularly pathetic looking automaton. Taking out her mace, Evan swung it like a baseball bat and with a sickening ssskkkuuurrrlllppp, the head flung free, the wires sparking as it fell at their feet.

Evan turned to Tessa, who was struggling with the sword. "Tessa," Evan's voice was more forceful now, "Get inside!"

Tessa looked around, "But -"

"You can't help anyone if you're captured, Tessa - go!" Evan shoved her towards the doors and watched as Tessa began shoving the heavy oak doors shut. There was a whirling behind her and Evan turned to decapitate another clockwork beast. But the creature caught her wrist with an iron grip and squeezed, her mace fell away, clattering on the stone. Evan's wrist shattered but before she could even cry out, a rag with a sour-sweet taste was shoved in her mouth. After a few breaths, Evan found herself gagging on it - chloroform, she dazedly remembered from the books - and found herself slipping away unwillingly into unconsciousness.

Will lost track of Evan and Tessa around the same time he and Jem split up. Jem had dashed off - to help the Lightwoods, Will believed - while Will went to Charlotte and Henry, who were on either side of Jessamine, fending off three long-legged automatons. Will pivoted in a circle, searching for Jem, he was on the Insitute steps, near the front door which was wide open - though it didn't register to Will. There was a spasming, but not destroyed, automaton a few feet away, advancing on Jem. There was the motion for his sword-cane, and Will, with careful skill, threw it to him. Jem caught it just as the creature lunged, carving the thing in two with a clean sweep of his sword-cane.

Finally, Jem turned to Will, his once-lively face an ashy white. Will offered a smile, one that Jem did not return. The second black carriage was rattling through the open gates now at top speed, the only sound was the noise of the wheels against the cobblestone. Jem shook his head at Will, and dashed off after the carriage.

Will tried to follow, only to be stopped by another clockwork monster. His seraph blade did little good against it, as he knew it would, so he unsheathed his second sword and swung it upwards, making a diagonal cut through its chest. It slid apart, falling to the ground with a clash.

There was a sound of ripping metal behind him, and he turned sharply to see Bridget, the Irish cook, her hair in a frizzy red halo, with her sword and a fallen automaton. "You ought to be more careful," She said, her accent untainted by London, "Don't you think?" But she didn't wait for a reply as she dashed to Sophie, Charlotte, and Henry's aid.