Chapter 18 - Until I Die

Chapter 18

Until I Die

"Thank you for coming with me." Will said, suddenly smiling widely.

"Yeah, of course," Evan said, looking up at him. "I get that you're not cursed and all but.... Why are you suddenly all smiley?"

"It is a good day." Will smiled even wider - if that was possible. "A day where I no longer have to deny myself love."

Evan could help but smiling back. "I'm really happy for you, Will."

Will didn't seem to have heard her. "You look beautiful tonight, Evan - I mean, you always do but your dress is rather -"

"Will," Evan laughed. "Now you're scaring me, what's up?"

"You know, Jem told me that he plans on asking Tessa to marry him." Will told her. "They make a very good couple, don't you think? And it is rather clear that they are in love, and Tessa makes him very happy."

Evan blinked. "Huh?"

Will stopped, looking at her confusion. His smile softened slightly. "You know, Evan, the books you hid under the slat were interesting. I only finished the first one of course - but you shouldn't believe everything you read. Tessa and Jem are perfect for each other, but everything you'd read me doing for Tessa - it was Jem every time. He was the one who rushed back from the Dark Sister's house to the Institute and it was he who -"

"What are you talking about?" Evan asked, gobsmacked.

Will put his hands on her cheeks, smiling. "Tessa isn't the one I love, Evan."

Evan blinked twice. "I-I don't -"

"Charlotte-Evangeline," Will said softly. "I love you."

Evan froze for half a second before she grabbed Will's collar and kissed him. He responded immediately, wrapping his arms around her small waist and pulling her to him. Evan had one hand on his cheek and one on his collar, holding him there. It was both Will's and Evan's first kiss; soft and sweet with a strange sort of passion that she'd always thought only belonged in books.

It felt like years, but was only just a few seconds. When they pulled back, Will brushed her hair out of her face and they both smiled. "Will." Evan said breathlessly. "I love you, too."

The rest of the way to the Institute, neither Will nor Evan could stop smiling. As soon as Evan said that she loved him, she knew she wasn't just saying it. She did love him. A few times, she almost wanted to slap herself - she sounded like she belonged in a cheesy romance novel. Perhaps it was the euphoria that they both felt having Will's curse be lifted (although, it was never truly there at all) but only once or twice more, they kissed; Will stooping and Evan on her tiptoes so they could reach.

Otherwise, it was a silent, boring, walk back to their home. They met no one in the halls, hesitating to part to go to their rooms before Evan reached up to brush her lips over his cheekbone and go to her own room, hardly containing her excitement. As she got herself ready for bed, hanging up her dress and sweater, putting her boots away, she couldn't stop smiling. Before her mother's death, she'd always tell Evan that she'd find a good man who loved to read, just like her, and understood her. He'd be polite, a gentleman, with good friends. He'd be strong and handsome, too.

Evan used to say that the only man for her would ever be fictional.... Evan almost laughed at the irony. She sunk into her bed, smiling still, hoping that this wasn't just a dream. That this was reality.

That morning, Evan woke up pleasantly, unsure if last night was reality or fantasy. Regardless, she put on jeans and last night's sweater, brushing out her hair, tying it up. Sophie knocked on her door, almost confused as to why. But either way, she was ready and walking out with A Tale of Two Cities tucked under her arm in habit.

"Master Will told me that Mrs. Branwell requests that you meet in the drawing room." Sophie said before rushing off to get Jem and Tessa.

"Okay," Evan nodded, turning the corner to head that way.

"Evan!" She turned, hearing her name to see Will just behind her, stooping to kiss her. How improper for the time-era, Evan couldn't help but think as she kissed back, her hand on his cheek.

When they pulled back, Evan smiled up at him. "Hi!" She said. "What's up?"

"Jem is on his way to propose to Tessa." Will smiled.

"She'll say yes," Evan promised. "Sophie said you asked us all to meet in the drawing room. What for?"

"To discuss how we are going to out Benedict Lightwood without playing into Mortmain's games." Will said, the air of seriousness returning. "You don't suppose that Jem will have time to propose to Tessa if Sophie's on her way to get them, do you?"

"I think that Jem will have time," Evan nodded thoughtfully. "Yeah. Sophie got me first, she'll probably check the music room and the library before going to their rooms. Ten minutes tops."

"And you think that she'll say yes?" Will asked.

Evan rolled her eyes. "You said it yourself, she loves him. She'll say yes. Trust me."

"You swear?" Will asked seriously before cracking a grin. Evan hit his shoulder, his arm still around her waist lightly. It wasn't unusual for Will to have his arm around Evan, but it seemed different now that she knew why. "I am happy for them. Jem especially."

Evan nodded in agreement. They could see the drawing room door now. Then she smiled wickedly, "Oh, and would you feel if I mentioned demon pox?" With that, she pushed open the door to the drawing room where Charlotte and Henry were talking, Will right behind her.