Chapter 3 - For True Love Shall Reign

Chapter 3

For True Love Shall Reign

The next day, Evan paced around her room after breakfast, trying to decide if she would wear pants or a dress - and if she did wear a dress, if she would wear the purple dress that she'd had in her duffle when she arrived in 1878. Finally, she decided on jeans, one of Will's old shirts, one of her favorite sweaters that was big and frumpy and had three big brown buttons against the forest green wool that went down to her knees. She put her hair half up and half down, wrapping a green ribbon around the hair band. She wore her brown 'riding' boot, and all of her earrings.

Cecily came into her room seconds after she finished getting dressed. Neither girl seemed fazed. "You leave in ten minutes, Will's told everyone that he is going to make it a proper day for the two you. Seeing as, he had announced - again - that he is courting you."

Evan grinned over at her as she brushed out her hair. "Every time he does that, I swear Charlotte smiles wider."

"With him explaining his curse the night after I arrived," Cecily rolled her eyes. "Everyone smiles more when he says it. He reminds everyone of it when you're not around and after he congratulates Jem and Tessa and gives a name for Charlotte and Henry's boy. Today is was Matthew, by the way."

Evan's grin turned into a smile. "I like Matthew."

Cecily gave her a friendly impatient look. "Perhaps you and Will should name your own son Matthew, then."

Evan stuck her tongue out at her. "I also like the name Owen - after my brother."

"Twins, then?"

Evan threw one of her boots at Cecily. "Can it, Cecy, help me with my hair."

Cecily and Evan, seeing as they were the only two fifteen year old girls, became very close friends. Cecily liked to tease Evan that the only reason they were friends was because she wanted to impress Will, but Evan teased Cecily that she only wanted to be friends with the girl from the future. Will teased the both of them that they ought to thank him for being the reason that they're friends.... That usually ended up with him getting hit.

Cecily's dark gray dress brought out the blue in her eyes, swishing around her ankles as the two girls walked to the courtyard. Will was there, holding a wicker picnic basket where the notebooks and the map was hidden. Evan almost laughed at it, Will had promised her that he'd find a way to get the research there without being suspicious.

And, well, Will had made good on his promise.

Will helped her into the carriage, jumping in after her and calling for Cyril to take them to Battersea Park. Will left the basket on the seats across from them, grinning broadly as he sat right next to her.

"A week or two, maybe," Evan said thoughtfully, "If we can convince Charlotte to allow Magnus to use the White Book for the spell." Evan kissed his cheek, "If not, there is a loophole. I love loopholes."

"No one would deny Jem a cure," Will said, mostly to himself.

Evan pressed her lips to his, "No one will anyway." She promised.

It took much less time getting to Chelsea Walk by carriage than walking. There wasn't much talk of what they were going to say to Magnus, there wasn't much of anything... except sightseeing. Will pointed out buildings and shops and, in return, Evan told him about what she knew of London in 2020. When they arrived Battersea Park, Will told Cyril that they'd walk home - odd request, but Cyril nodded, wished them a good day and left them.

Walking hand-in-hand, Will and Evan made their way to Mr. Scott's home, hardly even having to knock before Magnus was there, wearing a silk robe and slacks. Will looked taken aback, Evan didn't look fazed at all. "Come in," Magnus said. "Woolsey's in Rome until next week."

"Perfect!" Evan chirped.

Within five hours, they had a solid plan, enough evidence (with Magnus's help and sharp tongue to even out rough edges) to go to Charlotte with a perfect plan. Not to mention, Evan's loophole (having Mangus never touch the White Book) made for an even better argument. And Evan explained her plan for after Jem was cured - which Magnus liked, too. Afterall, he did have to supply the paint.

After their meeting, Will and Evan were still able to get a picnic in the park. There wasn't anyone else there... the sky was clear, for once, and the stars were more visible. They stretched out on the grass for a few hours after, not caring that it was midnight when they started on their way back to the Institute or that it was softly raining - a drizzle, really, but they still got wet, of course.

They were greeted by Church. Surprisingly, he jumped up on Evan, wrapping around her shoulders and neck. Will jumped back, yelping "Ah! Mae'r gath Devil! Rhyddhau hi i chi feline uffernol!"

Evan laughed, scratching Church's head. "You're not a devil cat," She cooed. "You're just grumpy."

Jem came jogging down the steps, grinning as he saw them. "Did you have a good day?" He asked, pushing his silver hair out of his face.

"Very good day," Will drawled, still glaring at Church. "You wouldn't mind, James, releasing Evan from that devil cat of yours?"

Evan rolled her eyes, rubbing Church's head. "He's just misunderstood." Evan said defiantely while the two boys laughed. Jem went to pick Church up, only to have the cat's claws dig into her collarbone. "Ah! Rydych cath drwg , gwyliwch y crafangau!"

"I told you that cat was evil," Will smirked as Jem curled the cat to his chest. Small beads of blood appeared on her where Church's claws struck. "Evan," Will's voice turned soft. "You're bleeding."

Jem looked horrified, "I am so sorry, Evan -"

Evan cut him off with "I'm fine, it doesn't hurt." Evan looked down at the cuts and added, "I should probably clean it, through."

"There's a salve in the imirfirmy," Will said.

"Perfect," Evan smiled at Jem, "Have a good night!"

"You as well," Jem smiled back apologetically. "Again, I am sorry about Church."

The three split up, Jem back to his own room and Will and Evan to the infirmary. When they got there, Will rummaged through the cabinets until he found it. He grabbed a rag and the salve, brushing away Evan's attempt to do it herself. Carefully, he cleaned the blood away before applying the ointment. Evan relaxed slightly, "It feels like rubbing alcohol."

Will smiled faintly. "Cats walk in their own waste, you know."

"Which is why it needs to be cleaned," Evan agreed. "Thank you, Will."

"I love you," Will said without warning. It wasn't the first time he'd said it, or she'd heard it, since the night his curse was relieved.

Heat rose to her cheeks but she didn't look away. She cupped his cheek, their lips barely touching as she said "I love you." Their lips met, soft but urgent. Seconds later, they both pulled back, both smiling.