Clockwork Princess - A Dreadful Row

Part 4

Clockwork Princess

Chapter 1

A Dreadful Row

"December is a fortuitous time for a marriage," The seamstress said, pinning more lace on the gold wedding gown Tessa was trying on. "As they say, 'When December snows fall fast, marry, and true love will last'." One more pin. "There. What do you think? It is modeled after one of Worth's own designs."

"It's lovely!" Charlotte beamed. Two months into her pregnancy, she's taken to tea gowns - making her look even more petite than ever. "Tessa, the color looks so fine on you."

Tessa twisted to see the full gown in the mirror. The corset shaped her figure like an hourglass; her clockwork angel and the jade pendant from Jem rested just under her collarbone. "You don't think, perhaps, that the lace is a trifle too much adornment?" Tessa asked skeptically.

"Not at all!" Charlotte said. "It is your wedding day, Tessa. If there is ever an excuse for excessive adornment, it is that. Isn't that right, Evan?"

Evan, who has been helping Tessa and Jem plan their wedding, was currently sitting next to Charlotte on the armchairs, wearing her gear (as Tessa caught her on her way to the training room) trying not to cringe - the saying less is more was chanting in her head. Tessa looked a trifle like a gold snowman. But Evan ignored it and said "I think you look amazing, Tessa!" Tessa shot Evan a look, "Oh was I not supposed to compliment you?" Evan said with mock-surprise. Charlotte, ever the motherly figure, sighed. "I mean it, Tessa you look great!"

"You don't think the lace is too much?" Tessa asked, turning back to the mirror.

"Not for eighteen seventy-eight!" Evan said brightly.

Hesitantly, the seamstress said "Would you like the lace removed, miss?"

Before Tessa could answer, there was a knock at the door. "It's Jem. Tessa, are you there?"

Charlotte sat up abruptly. "Oh! He mustn't see you in your dress!"

Tessa looked at her confusedly. "Whyever not?"

"Bad luck!" Evan said, standing.

"Quickly!" Charlotte took Tessa's hand and pulled her away. "Hide behind the wardrobe! Evan, get the door!" Charlotte marched Tessa behind the wardrobe, safely out of the eyesight of Jem as Evan opened the door.

Jem peered in the room, his eyes landing on the half-concealed Charlotte and Tessa confusedly. "Thank goodness," He said anyway. "I'd no idea where any of you had gone. Gabriel Lightwood's downstairs, and he's making the most dreadful row."

Evan wanted to scream "I've been waiting for this day since I got here!" But, of course, she did not and instead said "Okay, well, Tessa is unavailable at the moment so let's go get Will - yeah?" And promptly pushed Jem out of the room.

"Why were Tessa and Charlotte hiding behind the wardrobe?" Jem asked on their way to the training room to find Will and Cecily.

"You'll have to wait until your wedding day to see," Evan said.

"Ah, she's getting fitted for her dress," Jem realized.

"Yep. And, you know, Mrs. Branwell shoved her behind the wardrobe so...." Evan shrugged.

Jem laughed. "Well then, Evan, perhaps you should go to Gabriel - I fear Will is in a right mood again today."

"Good luck!" Evan grinned, turning to go to the entrance hall. She took off at a jog, finally comfortable in her tight gear. Gabriel was leaning heavily against the wall wearing just a shirt and pants that were stained with blood. As soon as she saw him, Evan sprinted - this wasn't just a book, Evan found herself thinking for the umpententh time, it's reality. "Gabriel - Mr. Lightwood? What happened?"