Chapter 7 - Dare to Wish

Chapter 7

Dare to Wish

When Will returned, Evan was on the floor, sitting like she was on the bed, marking things from one map of Wales to another with such precision that Will feared to enter, lest he break her concentration. When she was done, Will sat next to her, reviewing her work. "You were right about Gabriel."

"You doubted me?" Evan laughed, but Will did not. "If we don't mess up the books so much, they might end up together."

"Cecily and Gabriel?" Will was appalled. "We must change it!"

Eva turned to face him, her dark blue eyes still misty from the tears of her panic attack. "As someone who hated Gabriel for the first two and a half books, I suggest we leave them be. Besides, if we try to stop it, you know that Cecy will fight back harder." Evan moved his shirt collar so the ruby pendant that Magnus gave him was more visible. "You know, that pendant might help your sister more than you."

Will relaxed, catching her hand in his own. "It is not time, yet, to give it to her."

Evan smiled again. "So you have been paying attention to my rants."

"It's rather hard not to," Will rolled his eyes, "Seeing as it's all you had talked about."

Evan matched his eye roll, "It's rather hard not to," She mocked, "When you're trying to make sure it ends up where it's supposed to."

"Then perhaps I should give it to you," Will said leaning closer.

"I'll lose it," Evan snorted. "Give it to your sister, Will."

"Magnus did say it was mine to do with what I will," Will reminded her.

Evan tipped her head back to catch his lips with hers. It wasn't the first time she wondered what her parents would have thought of Will - in fact, between planning and sleeping, it's all she thought about. Their kisses were never long; only brief, but capturing. Evan always found herself smiling as they pulled back.

"Whatever happens tomorrow," Will said softly making Evan's heart drop, "You must know that I love you."

"I know," Evan said, "And you know that I love you, too."

"I do."

Evan's lazy mood swung in the opposite direction when she smacked her own forehead, cursing herself. She began cursing herself in every language she knew, startling Will when she scrambled out of his arms to where the Shadowhunter Chronicle books were hidden. Without bothering to close the door, Evan began prying them up - leaving WIll to shut the door hastily.

"I am an idiot!" Evan said, pulling out Clockwork Princess. "God - I hate myself."

Will, who use to the self-loathing that was the twenty-first century teenage girl, just kissed her temple.

"We can tell them today!"

"What?" Will sat back. "About the books -?"

"No, no," Evan flipped through the worn book, scanning the pages. "Pages one-sixty-one to one-seventy-three."

"This, ironically, isn't the book, fy nghariad." Wil's eyebrow arched in a mocking amusement.

Evan shot him a look and rolled her eyes. "Fine, urgent meeting about a letter from Mortmain. It's about trading Tessa for yin fen."

Will recognize what she was talking about almost immediately. "And you are going to plant the idea that Idris isn't the Idris Mortmain was talking about?"