25.

Sharai.

The room was quiet for the whole twenty minutes that Averi and I had already been in here all morning. We were in here all night last night when they threw us in here. They didn't bother us, and we didn't hear anything after that. Averi didn't speak to me not once this whole time though, she just sat on the floor in a corner with her head down. The whole time I didn't take my eyes off of her. What was this? Is this what Ramir meant when he said 'she's caught up in something deep'?

Finally taking my eyes off of her I shook my head. I was tired of sitting in silence thinking to myself. I wanted answers.

"So what's this?" I said, making her look up.

She looked at me for a while not saying anything, like she didn't know herself. Still looking at her, I spoke again, "hello?"

"Nothing." she replied dryly.

I shook my head, "it is something. Why are these people keeping you here, and why did I get put into this?" I stared at her.

She sighed, "it's a long story...and I'm sorry. I thought you were safe because they had been looking for you and never found you."

I shrugged, "we got time so fill me in on everything."

"We don't have time. All this time we been up in here, I'm pretty sure they're gonna come in any time soon." she shrugged and put her head back down. I heard sniffling coming from her and she began crying.

"Averi, you need to tell me something." I said getting more serious. "But if you're not gonna start, all I gotta say is..those two came for me before and I did get away. But I still don't know what's going on so tell me."

She shook her head while crying still, "it's nothing that we can do or anyone else. So telling you is not gonna make anything better."

I was getting irritated and worried at the same time. Being here scared me, but that didn't mean I wasn't going to try to get out. I didn't know any of these people if you didn't count Averi, and her.

"Averi...I can help us out. Ramir saw them take me, he knows the truck and all that. He's gonna come looking for us." I crawled over closer to her. "Averi?" I shook her thigh.

Her head was buried into her arms, while her knees hugged her chest. Again, I shook her to get her attention, "Aver--"

"No!" she pushed my arm off of her, "he ain't gonna come Sharai. What makes you think he cares if his brother doesn't even care. I been in this place for too long and he didn't bother come looking for me."

I stayed quiet after hearing her say that. It made me think a little bit too. I didn't want to make myself believe that Ramir didn't care and that he wouldn't come, but I didn't want to have my hopes up and then end up dying either.

"You don't know what's going on for sure though... If you tell me maybe I can figure something out." I finally spoke.

She sucked her teeth and looked up at me. "Just by me telling you the story, is not gonna make you find us a way out. Ain't no way out." she replied.

I rolled my eyes, finally getting frustrated with her. No I didn't know what was going on and I didn't know about anything that happened to her, but I'm here too, and since I am I need to know a reason. I sighed deeply and closed my eyes, trying to think to myself and calm down. Too much was going on at this time, and all I needed to know was what was.