30.

Epilogue

It was only one week until Averi's funeral, and the two weeks that I had been here in Miami were okay I guess. I hadn't did much except for stay in my room, eat, shower, sleep, and of course cry. I cried everyday, wondering and asking why, and every time my Aunt would come to console me. Ramir and I usually texted eachother every day now since my Aunt had given me a new phone, and we were debating on what to call ourselves. I mean, since I lived all the way in Miami now, what could we do?

I sat on my new bed, picking out clothes that I was going to wear to church today. My aunt liked to dress very formally when it came to church, so I couldn't just throw on a dress shirt and some jeans. I sighed after laying back on my bed and picking up my phone, I had gotten a message and I knew it was from Ramir.

Mir- how are you doing? You okay?

I smiled to myself. He always asked me that every time we would text eachother, but I found it cute how he was so concerned. I clicked onto the message, and read it once more before replying.

Me-
I'm fine, Ramir.

Mir- you know I like to check on you.

I smiled a little before replying by just saying I know, and then got up from the bed to get dressed. Once I was finished, I walked downstairs into the kitchen, where my Uncle was making breakfast. He and my Aunt had been together for so long, and they had recently just got engaged. Of course I didn't know that, because mom didn't keep up with the family news. We were always the outcast of the family, because after Averi's dad left, our life took a turn.

It felt like we didn't even have family because it was just us, and although my mom and Aunt Ashley were a little close before she moved to Miami, we weren't close with the rest of the family. Aunt Ashley and mom only had the same dad, but Averi and I had never had any type of relationship with him. He lived in Michigan, but only kept up with my Aunt and not mom. In my eyes he always liked Aunt Ashley better, and since my moms mother lived in a different part of Michigan, we had nobody. The closest we got to talking to cousins or anyone from my grandmothers side was over the phone, or at family reunions. All that was before the turn that our life took though.

So that's why it felt weird here to me. I was around my Aunt's people, and I never really met all of them yet.

I sat down at the table next to my aunt and greeted them. "Good morning," I said.

"Good morning, you look beautiful." My aunt smiled. Everyday it looked like she observed me, making sure that I was okay when she knew I wasn't. I knew I probably looked dead all the time, but I couldn't help it. To be honest, it felt like I was. Inside and out, I felt and looked that way.

I did a low sigh before giving her a small smile back, "thank you."

Soon enough my uncle was setting the table with food. Once we all were seated, they started up conversation. I sat in silence until conversation was directed towards me.

"You know Mariah's gonna be at church." My uncle Tj told me. "She says she's so excited to see you."

Mariah was uncle Tj's niece, and she used to always come out to Detroit with my aunt and him when they would visit, which was before my aunt decided on permanently moving to Miami where uncle Tj was from. After she did, the visits stopped. I hadn't seen Mariah since, and that was when we were about twelve. I wonder how she's doing now.

I put on a small smile, "really? I missed her."

Once we finished up breakfast and headed out of the door, we were sitting in the church's seats in no time. I hadn't been to church in a while, so I felt like I needed this now. I had tried to kill myself, then my sister ended up dying, now my moms in jail, and I'm all the way in Miami, away from everyone that I already know. Church was needed.