More Than Miles...

It was late and I wasn't sure she'd pick up. After all it was a Sunday and I could almost guarantee that little Georgia had worn her Momma out like always. Even though I knew I should just hang up and try and let it all go...I waited as the phone rang on.

As soon as I stood up and took one pacing lap around the room...
Her angelic voice answered the phone.
"Brantley?..."
My voice had vanished, it was like I'd forgotten how to speak. It felt so good to hear her say my name I forgot about everything else.
"Brantley...I know it's you. I have caller idea, ya know? Plus...I can hear you breathing. Is everything okay?"
Again my voice refused to work and I just stood there as Serenity carried on with this one sided conversation.
"Gee sure does miss her Daddy...B, no matter what happens between us? Your daughter needs her father..."
As I listened an anger boiled deep down inside me, out of no where. I became more and more pissed at myself as she went on...
"Brantley...Georgia will be at ya Momma's next week...go see your daughter, Kieth."

That was as much as I could take...
Sliding the phone from my ear, I hung up without so much as a "Goodbye" and tossed it on the bed.
I couldn't hold it in anymore...
I grabbed ahold of the chair I had spend hours sitting in, pouring out my heart in a few words and a few strings. Her words echoing in my head like a scream in a empty room.

"Gee sure does miss her Daddy...Go see your daughter..."

With all my pissed off rage... I smashed that wooden chair to bits against a floor length mirror. Glass shattered everywhere, but I wasn't satisfied just yet...I hadn't inflicted enough pain upon myself yet. All theses months I'd been telling myself that staying away and letting her live her life was for the best...I never thought of what my actions was doing to my little girl! Spinning around I let my fist connect with anything it could find...which happened to be a framed photograph on the wall.
Interlocking my fingers on top my head I stared down...around the room at the mess I had caused.

Glass covered the floors and wood splinters gathered in one corner, by the balled up papers and broken chair. My knuckles were splattered with blood but I was too amped up to give a damn.

Snatching up my leather, I made it for the door.
"I gotta get outta here." Mumbling to myself as I jumped up in my truck, threw her in reverse and peeled out of the parking lot.