Like A Hurricane...

• Serenity •

When the memory of mine and Brantley's first break up in Jeremy's garage faded and reality came back into few, Kolby was waving his hands and snapping his fingers in front of my face.
"Serenity? Hey, what the hell?"
Shaking the rest of the memory from my head, I sat up a little straighter and tried my best to wipe my face clean of any emotion that might be lingering. "Sorry. I just remembered..."
"Remembered what? To breathe?! I was getting ready to do the heimlich!"

Despite the painful twist my heart made at the memory? I had to laugh at him. "Such a dang'gon drama queen! No, it's just something you said made me think about...Ya know what?! It don't matter. We made a deal NOT to discuss my relationship and I'm fixing to honor that. You gonna finish your taters?"
"Nah-uh...spit it out, Jessabelle! This is the most open you've been in months! What is it?"
Rolling my eyes at his constant nagging and his use of my middle name, I popped a few country taters in my mouth before I spoke...
"One? I thought we outlawed the use of the middle names? Ya know I hate that one! You couldn't have used Elizabeth instead?"
Kolby smirked, smart ass like and shrugged. "Desperate times call for desperate measures!"

Scrunching up my nose and narrowing my eyes at his reply, I let some time go by before I told him my plans for today.
"Would ya drop it if I told you that I planned on stopping by his house today?"
You would think I just told the man I bought him a new truck or a fishing pole, the way his eyes got all big and wide!
"Ya finally gonna stop pretending! Oh, thank goodness!"
"Noooo...Don't go getting all excited now! Georgia asked me if Daddy can come to Mommy's birthday. I was gonna say no, but..."
"It's hard to tell that face no..." Kol finished for me. "...it's a Gilbert thing."
"I can't handle you anymore! I'm escaping now before I'm trapped in this booth forever with your ass! Who's paying this time?"
"I got it. Ya paid last time. You just go tell my brother I said, hey!"

"Tell 'em ya self, Gilbert!"
And with that I left...