Momma Knows All...

Momma Knows All...

• Serenity •

I decided to do just as my best friend suggested I do and go hug and love on my little girl, if there was one thing in this world right now that could cheer me up? It would be a monster bear hug from the best bear hugger in Jefferson, whose name just so happen to be Georgia.

Georgia was at her Meme's house just a little ways up the road. As I drove I tried to think of what I could do or say to explain why my eyes were all red and puffy. I came up empty handed by the time I pulled into the drive. All I had was the truth, but deep down I knew I couldn't look Miss Becky in the eye and tell her the truth. For one, other than when on the phone with Kolby, I couldn't bring myself to say it out loud. But it was the truth and nobody could change that besides the man himself. Whether he did or not, or would...was up to him and him alone. God, I sure hope he would...

A few deep breathes is what helped me make it up the walk without losing it all over again. I just know as soon as I walk in the door I'm gonna be met by a pair of bright brown hazel eyes, a perfect mixture of her mom and dad's. I wouldn't lie to her, I told myself as I reached the front door, and I knew it was true.

"Knock, knock?" I announced myself, before closing the door behind me.

Didn't have to wait long to hear the excited screams and running feet of a little girl happy to see her mommy. She rounded the corner leading from the kitchen so quick my heart leaped into a panic at the thought of her tripping and landing face first into Momma Becky's light brown carpet.

"MAMA!"

If Miss Becky hadn't heard me come in, my daughter's screech of joy definitely gave me away.

"Hey there, baby girl. Did you and Meme have you guys some fun while Mama ran some errands?" I painted on a smile as I caught her in my arms at the last possible moment.

I got a vicious nod of the head as a response to my question and the chocolate smeared around her lips told me just how much fun I was gonna have later on tonight. Chuckling to myself, I walked us both towards the kitchen where the smell of fresh baked cookies clung to the air. Momma B was at the table placing dough upon cookie sheets with a smile on her face and a giggle in her eye.

"Busted, huh?"

"Just means Meme is getting herself a phone call later on tonight." I raised an eyebrow at her as I placed Georgia back in what I assume was her helper chair, as it had a few stacked up phone books placed in its seat. "Chocolate chip?"

"Triple chocolate. Go on, there on the stove."

I planted a big ole kiss to the woman's cheek as I made my way to the stove to devour some homemade goodness. "You are an angel, Momma!"

"So I've been told...Gee? Why don't you go watch you some cartoons, while we wait on the cookies?"

"O-tay."

I had a feeling Momma sending Georgia to watch TV meant that we were about to get on a subject that she didn't want her grandbaby to overhear or to be a part of. This meant there could only be one thing she wanted to discuss...

Her son.

I found myself gripping the counter top as I waited for the microwave to ding as I had went ahead and helped myself to the last bit of coffee in the pot. I began to wonder if Georgia wanted some company in the living room.

"Did ya think I wasn't gonna notice, sweetheart?"

"Notice what?" It wasn't the smartest idea, but playing dumb seemed like my best bet here.

"Don't you dare play clueless with me, missy."

Taking my coffee and cookies to the table, and sitting down, I blew out a breath I hadn't realized I held. "Sorry, Ma...it's just...I-I went and seen him today and..."

Miss Becky nodded, like she somehow had all the information she needed. "Drug up all them nasty feelings again, I'm guessing."

"A little bit, I suppose."

"If it wasn't that that has you all puffy eyed then what happened, baby?"

"I really don't wanna say..."

Momma made a noise in her throat just then that I couldn't quite decipher. "I was afraid it would come to this. I just hopped I was wrong."

"Ma'am?"

"Brantley is drinking again..."