The Best of Me...

• Brantley •

It's been a whole year and it still hurts, I thought to myself as I sat with my back against wall.
In that year I had undoubtedly fell back into my old habits. The bottle of Jack Daniels beside my leg was evidence enough. I guess the only good thing about it all, was I had finally gotten out of that little ass apartment and had gotten myself a nice little three bedroom house. Serenity had suggested to my Momma that she'd be willing to move, so I could have the cabin...but I couldn't do that to her. That was Georgia's home, and Serenity loved that place. It was easier to just get another place for now. Especially after Momma offered to let me stay at home. I was in no shape to be anywhere but by myself. 

My little brother keeps me up to date on how everyone's doing. And the band has came by at few times to jam, I know it's to check up on me. The other day Kolby told me know that Serenity was doing good. He did say he can tell that it was just a mask for her pain. Says she's just acting like she's over it all. Kolby's convinced that she still misses me even though she had made him swear not to bring me up when they hung out or had their traditional lunch at Jefferson House. I may be on tough son of a bitch, but I tell you now, it hurt to hear that she didn't even wanna know how I was doing these days. But with all the shit I put that little girl through? I can't really blame her. We had been here once before...although it seemed that this time isn't fixing to be like the last.

Sitting up, I got the old torn and ragged box off the corner of my bed. It was full of all the things Serenity had given or written me over the years. Laying on top the pile was a faded old poem, she had written the night of our two year anniversary. Reading it now had me so emotional that I hadn't even noticed I was crying until a tear drop fell onto the paper, smearing the ink in "Love Always, Your Angel!"
It wasn't too long after that that we went down hill and Serenity told me I had to choose...

  ::Her or The Beer?::

~ I was chilling in my buddy's garage, when Seren came strolling in looking all kinds of pissed off.
"Hey, darlin...everything alright? What's wrong?"
"Ya really wanna know what the hell is wrong?!" her accent getting thicker as she hollered. "You! You and ya damn drinkin'!"
"Ah, hell...not this shit again, Serenity!"
"Yes...hell yes...this shit again! Do you remember when we went to watch the sun set on Lake Sinclair?"
Adjusting the bill of my hat, I huffed..."Now ain't the damn time for this."
"Tough shit! Do you remember?"
"Yeah..." I sighed, which only made her more mad.
"Huh?!?! I ain't catch that!"
"I said, yeah...I remember."
"Oh, you do? So ya remember me tellin' you not to give up on us then? That the drinkin' constantly needs to end...ya member that?"
Even though I knew I shouldn't, I rolled my eyes at her and looked away. Angling my chair so my back was to her. I didn't wanna hear her shit no more.
I was a grown man, if I wanted to drink with the boys? Imma drink with the boys!
"Ya know, Brantley? I really thought you was a nice decent guy with a great future ahead of you. Turns out? You're just a alcoholic with pretty eyes and a nice smile. I'm done...you go on and have you a nice life, Keith!"
There was a slight pause before she continued long enough to add, a lot nicer than before..."Sorry for barging in Jer..."

As she made her way back out the door, maneuvering around empty beer bottles...I held up my beer and told my friends...
"Looks like I'm single again, fellas! Let's celebrate!"

  ::End.::

I was a fool back then and I'm a fool now to have ever let that girl slip through my fingers... 

Now all I have are bittersweet memories.
That always get the best of me...