History Repeats Itself...

• Serenity •

Twenty minutes later I was still sitting on the side of the road with tears pouring from my eyes, they made no effort to stop. My chest was tight with uncontrollable and undeniable fear.
I was in pure panicking mode and there was only one person that would be able to calm me down...

"Hello?" 
"Kol-Kolby..."
"Hold on!...hey, Bo? I'll be right back. I gotta take this..."

I could hear movement and a door close on the other end, before Kolby's voice came back on the phone.

"Serenity, what happen? What he do?"
"I..."
"Hey...deep breathes. Ya gotta calm yourself down, so I can understand you...alright, darling?"

This wasn't the first time Kolby had to talk me through a panic attack, he knew what to do. Which made him the perfect person to call at this particular moment.

"...*deep breath*...Kol?"
"I'm here. Ya wanna tell me what the hell happened?"
Wiping the tears away, I stared out the windshield..."He's drinking again, Kolby..."

We were both silent for awhile, letting it all sink in.
I was the first to speak. "I can't do it again, Kol. I can't get that phone call again..."

::Flashback: Incoming Call!::

My step sister, Jessie-Lynne and I were just sitting in our apartment drinking coffee and checking Facebook for the millionth time that morning...

When the call came through.

*Incoming Call: Miss Becky aka Momma.*

Me: Hi, Momma.
Miss Becky: Hello Serenity...
Me: Miss Becky? Is everything okay? You sound like ya been crying. What's going on?"
Miss Becky: Serenity, darlin'...there's something I gotta tell you...
Me: Momma, you're scaring me...what is it?
Miss Becky: Brantley was in a really bad accident this morning...
Me: WHAT?! Is he okay? What happen?! What hospital is he at?
Miss Becky: Calm down, Hun. I'll have Kolby send you all the information.
Me: Okay. I-I...I gotta go.

*Click.*

"What-da-hell was that all about? What is goin' on, Seren?" Jess stared me down.
I couldn't answer her, there was a lump the size of Texas lodged in my throat.  All I could do was think about how badly I needed to get to Brantley...RIGHT NOW!

::End of Flashback.::

If it wasn't for Kolby constantly hollering my name, the unbelievable panic that that certain memory brought along would have swallowed me whole.
"I'm-I'm okay..."
"Don't scare me like that, woman! Damn it."
"Sorry...I'm just...Kolby...damn it...I'm scared! I can't go through that again! I won't!"
"And you won't. I give you my word, Serenity..."
Completely ignoring him, I rambled on..."How would I even explain it to Georgia?! She's too young to lose her Daddy, Kolby!" I continued until again Kolby hollered my name.
"Serenity Jessabelle Elizabeth! STOP! You just gonna get ya self more worked up. Just...just do me a favor?"
A few more deep breaths and I was calm enough to focus. "Okay..."
"You just drive home, gather up my niece and give her a great big hug from Unky Kol. And leave B to me. Can you do that for me?"
"I-I think so. Yeah."
"Alright then. I'll call you in a little bit. Don't worry, I got this."

Once I hung up the phone, I let myself grip the steering wheel for awhile. In attempt to do as Kol said and calm myself down.

Wiping away a fallen tear, I threw the truck back in drive and tore off the shoulder and back into traffic.