Can We Talk...

Can We Talk...

• Serenity •

By the time me and Kolby made it back into the house, Georgia and Brantley were cuddled on the sofa watching Paw Patrol. I lingered in the entryway taking in the sight of them when I was given a little shove in their direction, looking behind me I saw Kolby giving me a look. With a deep breath and one last glance behind me, I walked over and stood behind the couch.

Bending down, I rested my arms on the back of the couch "She loves this show." I said as I looked down and saw her snuggled up into his side fast asleep.

"She was watching it, but I guess wrestling around really tuckered her out." Brantley chuckled as he too looked down at her sleeping form.

"I was afraid Meme had hyped her up with cookies and I'd have to fight her to sleep. Guess all she needed was her daddy and out she would go."

"Momma said she didn't take a nap today. Glad I could be here to help out."

"I'm glad you're here too."

I didn't notice how it sounded until the words were out my mouth and his gaze shot to me.

"I mean for Gee...she's been asking about you." I quickly covered.

"Ah, yeah...I would have come sooner. But..." he let the rest of that sentence hang in the air.

We both knew the reason why he hadn't been around lately there wasn't really a need to say it.

"All that matters is you're here now, B. She needs you..."

With that, I stood up and went to go finish my coffee in the kitchen.

"Wait."

I turned in time to see him gently removing himself from Georgia's grasp and laying the cover his Momma had on the back of the couch over her little body.

"Can we talk...please?"

My breath caught in my throat and I felt my heart skip a beat or two as I looked around for some excuse as to way that wouldn't be a good idea. In those few seconds I stood there I heard Kolby's words ring out inside my head and decided it was best to try and get use to being near him again and a private chat was probably the best way to start.

"Sure."

• Brantley •

I was surprised when she agreed to talk to me, I know that sounds stupid but it was true. Especially since I caught that look of fear hit her eyes when the words came out of my mouth. I knew Serenity well enough to know that that slight pause she gave was her trying to find a way out. Her eyes held everything right there for me to see, she was fighting something no one else could see. Maybe Kolby was right after all. Serenity wasn't as fine as she made everyone thing she was. I wanted to wrapped her in my arms and tell her again how stupid I was to let things get like this, but I kept myself together.

"Um...where do you wanna talk? Is here okay?" Serenity asked.

"We can go out back if you want to?" I suggested.

"Fine with me, we just gotta let your Momma know. Just in case Georgia wakes up and wonders where we ran off to."

"That's fine."

Serenity nodded before heading off to find Momma.

• Serenity •

As I went to find Miss Becky, my hands were shaking and my heart would not stop racing. I was beyond nervous to hear just what he had to say. I'd hoped like hell it wasn't about what I saw earlier today. I so did not want to talk about him and alcohol right now, let alone ever. I only agreed to talk because he is still the father of my kid and may always be the love of my life. We may not be together anymore but he will always be in my life because of a little girl we both helped bring into the world, and it's not fair to her that I keep ducking out on her dad.

I found Momma in the kitchen still dumping ridiculous amounts of cookie dough on baking sheets.

"Gees, Momma...how many cookies are you going to make?" I laughed, as I entered.

Momma responded with a smile and handed me my very own wad of cookie dough. "Get out of my kitchen, missy."

That's when it clicked and I blurted out "These are for my birthday, aren't they?!?!"

"Out."

With a grin, I held up my hands in surrender. "I'm going, I'm going...me and B are gonna go out back. Keep an eye on Gee for me, please?"

She gave me that look that people usually give you when you ask them what they might consider a stupid question.

"Thank you." I kissed her cheek and made for the back door.