Keep From Wondering...

I didn't have any real destination in mind as I drove. I was just hoping the speed of this old truck would drown out her voice and the shitty thoughts that had seeped into my head. But even the passing headlights and the wind couldn't wash it away. All I could think about was how bad I felt about putting my dreams before my family...

I ain't too sure why I did, but I saw the neon lights and decided to pull in. Throwing ole girl in park I stared up at the sign...
"Brantley what the hell are you doin', man?" I asked myself as I sat in the parking lot.
If Serenity could see me now? She threaten to beat the tar out of me if I dare step a foot in that place. I didn't want to ruin my sobriety even if the way I was feeling was threatening to do just that. As I opened the driver door and hopped down, I kept repeating to myself that..."I ain't here to drink. Maybe play some pool, listen to the band...that's it"...and that's what I intended to do.

~Few Hours Later:~

After winning my fair share of pool games, I decided to sit up at the bar and watch the band. I didn't think sitting here would bring back an old memory...

::Flashback: A Year In Love!::

I parked my Harley down by the water next to a big oak tree, and cut the engine. Serenity swung a blue jean covered leg over and waited for me to do the same.
"Well..." I started with a smile as I undid the strap of my helmet and sat it on the handle bars. Turning around, Serenity was smiling with one hand on her hip and the other pointed at her own helmet strap. "We made it a whole year..." I added while undoing her helmet and sitting it on the seat.
"That we have...who would have thought?" She commented as she closed the little distance between us.
"And to celebrate? We..." Wrapping my arms around her, I mentally checked off everything... "...took a ride on the bike, watched the sun set, and went to The Golden Corral?"
Serenity smirked and let out a small giggle. "What can I say? Imma cheap girlfriend." She said as she snaked her arms up mine and around my neck.
"Nah...darlin', you're an amazing girlfriend!"
"Oh? Ya think so?" Her smile grew wider as she leaned up on her tip toes, inches from my lips.
"Oh yeah...most definitely!"
"Good answer!"
After a tiny chicken peck, she sank back down.
"So...what now?"
Serenity chewed her bottom lip for a few seconds and then I saw the idea brighten her eyes.
"What are you thinkin', miss thang?"
"Well...that band I like is playing in Athens tonight?"
"Mhm?"
"And if we go...I can whoop your ass in pool...again!"
I laughed. "Whoop my ass? Oh, babe you never whoop me! I let you win!"
"Really now?! Well we will just have to see than, huh?"

::End of Flashback!::

The memory dissipated and reality soon swarmed back in around me, hitting me like a ton of bricks. With everything I put that girl through? I may never get another memory like that again.

The self hatred I had burning in the pit of my stomach was just about to push me over the edge. By this point I figured a bar was the last place I should be right about now.
Well...that was until a pretty young thing with red hair and white tank top strolled up to the bar.
She took up the stool next to mine and flashed me a grin, "Hey there, handsome. Ya look like you could use a friend."
"Do I now?"
She nodded. "Sure do. Names Mandy..."
"Brantley... Nice to meet ya." To be polite I gave her a small smirk.
"You wanna know something, Brantley? If ya ask me? You just might be one of the best lookin' guys in this joint!" She smiled.
I had to smile back... It was flattering to have a woman flirting with me. Plus I ain't wanna seem like a asshole. Even if poor girl was probably drunker than a skunk.
"I'm serious! Especially if ya eyes are as gorgeous as that smile of yours."
That's when ole Mandy crossed a line. She grabbed ahold of the bill on my hat. Quickly I held it in place and leaned away from her.
"No disrespect, sweetheart. But ya don't just go grabbin' on a man's hat like that."
Mandy nodded. "You're right...I apologize. So tell me something... You got you a gal waiting at home?"
"You got you an ole man?"
"I..."

From behind me a few steps I heard a man's voice holler "Mandy! What in the hell are you doing?!"
Ole girl stopped mid-sentence and stared off behind the bar. Sooner rather than later my question about her ole man was answered.
I could feel someone standing behind me, drilling their eyes in the back of my skull.
"We gotta problem here?!"
I could tell he was drunk...hell I could smell it on 'em. I shook my head and glanced Mandy's way. Noticing she didn't look like she was about to offer up an explanation...
I stood on up.

He had a few inches on me but I stood my ground. We stood there for a good minute as I waited for him to make a move. When he didn't, I clasped his arm and shook his hand. "Not a problem at all, Bo. Here...next rounds on me. Y'all have a nice night..."

And with that?
I got the hell outta there. 

*Authors Note: *
Short little authors note here... 1) this is definitely not my best work...but it flows and that works for me! Second? It may take me a minute to get more chapters up on here. But there will be more!
Thank y'all again! I cannot say it enough! (: