Backyard Chit Chat...

Backyard Chit Chat...

• Serenity •

When we got outside it was like an awkward scene from some movie or something, we both stood there like statues with our hands in our pockets, staring at our shoes. Every time I went to open my mouth I ultimately closed it again, unsure or what to say or do. I just continued to stand there and wait for him to start first.

Out the corner of my eye I see Brantley reaching into his pocket and I automatically knew just what he was reaching for, the little square box probably barely halfway full of Marlboro Cigarettes. I suddenly wish I hadn't left mine in the truck.

"Mind if I..." I started, but quickly shutting my mouth again.

I was fully prepared for the lifted brow look I was given right before he handed over his opened pack in a way of saying "go for it".

"Thought you quit?" was the question that came as I pulled one from the pack and handed it back.

Skillfully balancing his own smoke between his lips, Brantley came and stood in front of me and offered a light.

"I did..." I told him as I leaned towards him just long enough for the flame to ignite the tobacco. "It has been a stressful year."

"What happened to that whole you didn't start up old habits?"

His sunglasses were shielding his eyes, but I could tell by his tone that it was meant as a lighthearted joke.

"Yeah...well...I never wrecked my car by getting behind the wheel with a cigarette." I raised my eyebrows at him then.

"Low blow, darling!" he giggled.

Silence soon find us again and it seemed like neither one of us wanted to spark up the conversation again.

Again I took the first step...

"This is awkward." I finally spoke. "I mean it shouldn't be right? I mean we were friends before we were ever involved, yet here we are...awkwardly standing in your mother's backyard like complete strangers. Which is crazy to me because I swear you know me better then I know myself and well I know you because I spent..."

"Serenity?"

"Yeah?" I stopped babbling for two whole seconds to acknowledge my name.

"Nervous, huh?" he smiled, and at that moment I was so sure my heart stopped for a whole beat.

"Let me guess the crazy lady rambling gave me away, huh?" I laughed.

"Don't worry, darling...I didn't bring you out here to try and talk my way back in." Brantley informed me with a oddly serious tone.

"You didn't?" to say I was surprised would be a total understatement here, I was shocked as hell!

"Hell no. You'd never go for that...I know you remember?" he smirked, obviously feeling way too good about that little fun fact. "Don't get me wrong here, babe...I do miss the hell out of you!"

Just when I felt like this 'talk' couldn't get even more awkward, we drifted into a territory I hoped a conversation with him wouldn't dare go anywhere near.

"Brant..."

Before I could get out the rest of my sentence, his hand came up to stop me in my tracks and he shook his head, as if to say "no need".

"Don't need the...don't go there...speech. I already know, trust me."

"Well good! New topic then, please? Because I am getting a little uncomfortable here and that cigarette pack doesn't have enough for the both of us."