Hidden Plans...

• Serenity •

Its been about five days since my big meltdown at Momma's, and I still hadn't talked to either of the Gilbert boys. If Georgia wanted to go see Meme, we went, if she wanted to see Daddy? Mama dropped her off at Meme's and came back later.
I didn't want to deal with it right now, I wanted to do what I always done...bury it.
 Kolby had tried many times to call me or text me, I had listened to so many "I'm sorry" messages that I finally quit listening to any and all messages he sent.

 I was just as mad at him as I was his idiot brother right now. I thought he was my best friend, I thought he meant what he said when he said he'd never tell Brantley about that night. I was torn to bits over it.
Today though? Today I was determine to not let it get to me, after-all, it was my birthday.
I told everyone I didn't want to do anything big this year but I have a feeling something is going on. Between Momma making a crap ton of cookies the other day, every one else was acting funny. My sister, Jessie, had called me twice to see if I was home and what I had planned for today. That wouldn't be so fishy if she hadn't asked more than once, not to mention my dad calling me and talking about he needed me to come by for a few hours and dog sit cause him and uncle Ray has to do some work on a buddies car.
Even Brantley's dad called me this morning asking if he could take Georgia for a little bit, said something along the lines of "you know, give mom a break for a few hours", the man even started making suggestions.
My family wasn't exactly subtle about it this year. Either that or I'm a complete moron and overthinking it all. Regardless of the fact that I was little bit more than a tiny bit suspicious of everyone's intentions, I took Keith up on his offer to occupy Gee for a bit, and even decided to lend dad a hand with the dogs. What was I gonna do while I dog sat? I planned on drinking coffee, reading a book, and taken a well deserved nap.

Happy birthday to me.

• Brantley •

I was thinking about heading out for a ride on the Harley, when I heard a knock on the door. I wasn't expecting anybody and it couldn't have been Kolby, he was still in bed. Further thought had me thinking it could be one of the band, I had called like I told Serenity I would.

Opening the door to see who was standing there at 8:14 in the morning, I never could have guessed it.Jessie-Lynne. Serenity's sister...

"Jess? What you doing here? Is everything okay? Is Georgia..."
Jessie waved her hands and shook her head. "No, no...B, everything is good. I would have called first, but I figured if I was standing in front of you? Then you couldn't say no."
I folded my arms and gave her a smirk, this oughta be good. "What hell is you trying to get me into now? Some dude giving you trouble again?"
Jessie gave me her own look, one that said I was a jackass. "No. And just to be clear? That was once! And it was Serenity's idea!"
"Fine. What's going on, darling?"
Jess took a deep breath and watched me out the corner of her eye as she thought whatever it was over. "Alright, so this is how this is gonna go down...do you know what today is?"
"You mean the week day?" I joked. "Yes, Jess...I know what today is."
"I don't know how anyone deals with you, I swear. Anyways! We are putting something together at the house. Dad got Serenity out the house, your dad took Gee, she has her own special part to do. It's gonna be great."
"Need to brow a truck?"
"No..."
Jessie had this up-to-no-good look on her face as she said it and I just knew whatever came out her mouth next was gonna be the real reason for her babbling.
"No, I'm here to tell you not ask you...to tell you that once the party starts and everyone is too busy to give a damn? I'm gonna call you and you're gonna bring your ass over to the house and wish the love of your life a happy birthday."
I shifted from foot to foot for a moment. "Jess...me and her got into it the other day. Ole girl don't want me showing up and crashing her birthday."
"I am so sick of ya'll! I heard all about ya'll little screaming match and guess what? Can you see this face? This face doesn't give a hot damn! I'm not doing this for my sister, anyway..well...I am, mostly cause she too damn hard-headed to do it. But mostly I am doing this for my niece. Georgia wants to celebration Mommy's birthday with Momma and Daddy...so you WILL be there or so help me, I will take you out at the knees and drag you there myself!"
I only threw my hands up in surrender. "Alright."
"Good. Wait for my call."
"Got it."
"Now you may go back to doing whatever it was you were doing. Have a good day."

I couldn't help but let out a chuckle as I closed the door.
That girl was something else.