Not to Blame...

Not to Blame...

• Serenity •

All I could do was stare at her like I had completely lost all my marbles. How was it she knew when I didn't give her even a hint to what was bugging me? You can't tell me it's one of those things mother just know...there's no way!

"Oh, darling...don't look so shocked. I had a feeling it come to this. Alcohol has always been that boy's weakness. I had prayed he wouldn't fall backward..."

Momma's face dropped to an expression so sad it literally made my heart ache at the sight of it. After all it was my fault her eldest son slipped back into the bottle. I was the reason for this all! Over the last year I couldn't begin to tell you how often I wished I could go back and do things differently. How I'd have fought harder, how I'd have tried to make it work, and how I most definitely wouldn't have taken that damn ring off. I would have sucked it up and dealt with it. I'd have done a million things different if it meant that look never crossed Miss Becky's face.

"I'm so sorry, Momma."

To my apology, Momma lifted a brow in confusion. "And what on earth do you have to be sorry about, baby?"

"It's my fault. I'm the reason you have the look of heartbreak. I'm sorry I didn't try harder."

"You listen to me, Serenity Elizabeth! This does NOT fall on you, you hear me? Brantley is a big boy. He makes his own choices no matter how idiotic they may be. You did what you did for a reason. I've never asked that reason or what happened and I won't start now. Everything will work out in time."

I hadn't realized I had been softly crying until Momma wiped away a tear, and patted my cheek. "I do miss him, Momma."

"Oh, I know you do. I can see it in your eyes. And I know he feels the same."

"Yeah..."

The phone ringing from the living room saved me from anymore emotional conversations with Momma and I was thankful. I wasn't sure I could handle much more Brantley talk without completely breaking down for the second time today. Or at least that's what I thought before Momma came back into the kitchen with an unreadable look etched on her face.

"Oh, no...what is it? Did...he didn't..."

"No, no...he's with Kolby."

"Oh, thank God! Then why the face?" my heart was hammering.

"I don't know how you'll feel about this, but it seems they are headed here."

I shot up from my seat without meaning to. I didn't want to see him again already! Once was enough for me and even then it didn't go well.

Now I had to decide if I wanted to suffer through it or bolt before Kolby's truck pulled in the drive. If Momma noticed my struggle within, she didn't say a word.

• Kolby •

"So here's the thing...Momma says Serenity is at the house." I informed Brantley, keeping my eyes on the road.

It may have just been me but I could have sworn I seen him stiffen when I said her name. Out of my peripheral vision I watch my brother shift in his seat and adjust his trusty ball cap a few times. It was weird to see him looking just like Serenity did whenever his name was mentioned.

"Still wanna go?"

"Yeah, that's where Georgia is, right?"

"She was, unless her Mama left with her when Mom undoubtedly told her we were on the way there."

"Nah, Seren wouldn't do that. She told me I could see Georgia. Though can't say I blame her if she did take Gee and leave."

"Well...the truck is here." I confirmed as I caught a glimpse of Serenity's truck as I turned onto Momma's street. "You sure you're okay with this?"

• Serenity •

I was beyond terrified about seeing him specially after how we left things, but then again I refused to let him and all our baggage cause me to flee anytime we were in the same area. Plus he wasn't coming for me, he was coming to see his daughter and Momma, I wasn't about to get in the way of that. No matter what is going on between me and her father I never want Georgia to question anything. Sure she knew Mommy and Daddy were no longer together but she didn't know why or understand why she hardly ever seen Mama and Dad in the same room together for too long. Of course I had my reasoning's, all of which I wanted to keep to myself for as long as I could.