A Drive Down Memory Lane...

  • Kolby •

After Brantley got in the truck, I didn't say a word, just backed out the drive and drove. He didn't ask where we were going and I was fine with that. All he did was stare out the window and watched everything go by. I found myself wondering as I glanced at him a few times if he was thinking them trees and road signs was like his life...just passing him by. I hoped like hell that what I had planned for this little road trip would help my big brother sort his shit out.
My plan was to give my older brother a crash course down memory lane. If that ain't work? I wasn't too sure what would.

• Brantley •

I could tell by the scenery alone and the turns he took, where this little ride was taking me.

Ole one-twenty-nine.

My hands fell to my lap and my eyes found my shoes as another memory done too happier than the last one I had today seeped into my mind...

::Could Have Lost You Flashback::

"Hey darlin'." I tried to smile, as that door to my hospital room opened. 
Serenity stood there in the opening, hand covering her mouth, tears in her eyes, shaking her head.
"Babe, come here." I told her, but she didn't budge. Fear had ahold of her, I could tell.
So I did what I knew would get her attention. "Serenity Jessabelle Elizabeth, come here. I mean it." 
When she made it to my bedside, I took hold of her hand and give it a squeeze.
"Wh-what happen?" were the first words out her mouth.
I closed my eyes. "You're not gonna like the answer, darlin'."
"Tell me anyway."
"I was partyin' with some buddies last night. I never went to bed..." I trailed off. I knew I didn't need to say the rest, she already knew.
"You was drivin' drunk..."
I nodded.
"My truck is totaled. I took out a sign..." I paused for a second, I didn't know how to tell her the rest.
"What?" she said, with so much nervousness in her voice it made my heart ache.
"I flipped end over end six times. The big oak tree off 129 is what stopped me. I got ejected out the back windshield. Sheriff saw the whole thing. Say's I landed on my feet. And that I swore someone was with me. Said I was tryin' flip the truck back over."
"I could have lost you..."

::End of Flashback::

I may have been sitting in the passenger seat with Kolby behind the wheel, but I felt like I was nineteen again all the same.