Chapter 8

The bell for the end of the day rang just as Ace and I were returning to the fieldhouse. The rest of the students were gone as were the teachers, reminding me just how easy it was to lose track of time when talking with Ace.

We walked together back towards the locker rooms, splitting only at the last moment as a way to preserve the time we had together. Then he disappeared into the boys locker room and I entered the girls one. It was mostly vacant save for one girl, sitting on the wooden bench near my locker. Her blonde pony tail rested against her shoulders and those piercing green eyes met mine. I couldn't tell if she was upset.

She stood, "I wanted to wait for you guys."

I nodded to her before reaching for my lock. As I punched in the combo, Holly remained silent. There was something on her mind, something she wanted to say but was holding back. I had a feeling I knew exactly what it was though I felt no inclination to ask her about it.

"You are Ace were pretty close huh?" Holly eventually blurted out, crossing her arms over her chest. Her purse and backpack sat next to her, untouched, as she twisted her body to face me. Her makeup had been touched up and her jeans hugged her legs like a second skin. A long necklace hung around her neck, laying softly between her breasts covered by a pale pink blouse. She looked beautiful.

Gorgeous.

Far more than I ever could. She was the embodiment of every boy's dream; busty, pretty, nice, witty. I couldn't find any evident flaws to her persona. She was damn near perfect. So I understood why she was so concerned because I was wondering the same thing she was...

Why was Ace hanging out with me when he had a girl like Holly?

My answer came as a shrug, I didn't know how else to respond. I couldn't justify the strange connection Ace and I seemed to share nor could I properly explain our past. There was too much history, too much darkness. Holly knew some of it, Ace had told her himself, but I found myself wondering just how much Holly actually knew.

Holly nodded to herself before she looked away so I could change. She didn't appear to be hindered by the look of her body but I sure as hell was. I changed quickly, slipping back into my jeans and t-shirt. It was nothing compared to the designer brands of Holly's apparel but it was enough for me.

"I don't want to be that girl, I really don't. You understand, right Genevieve?" Holly started as we both collected our things. She slipped her back pack over one shoulder then held her purse around the crook of her arm. I heaved the massive stone of my own book bag onto my back before replying.

"I don't." It was a mere squeak but it was enough to keep the conversation going. The heat at my neck receded and the turmoil churning within my stomach settled. I had spoken that time without even worrying about it. This 'talking' thing was getting easier.

Holly sighed. Just as we reached the door to the locker room, she stepped in front of me. Stopping me. Suddenly, I felt like a caged animal. Was she going to beat me? Mock me? Yell at me? I have endured all of those outcomes before but never by someone such as Holly who has been so kind to me in these past few days.

Luckily, none of my fears were realized.

"I want you to understand that I'm not going to be that girlfriend who demands that you stay away from my boyfriend. I know what you two went through was awful and having you back in Ace's life has been a blessing." Holly started, rolling her lips into her mouth as she thought. A few moments later she met my gaze once more, "But I also want you to understand that he is my boyfriend. We're happy together."

Wait ... did she think ...

My cheeks went up in flames, embarrassment scorching up from my toes to the top of my head. I had to swallow several times to clear the lump from my throat before I was able to mutter out a fumbling, "Ace and I ... we're just friends. Just ... just friends."